Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two lost

I think this article gives a nice rebuttal to those who feel it isn't worth the price: http://www.wired.com/2014/11/in-defe...space-tourism/

I have one simple comment... What the hell happened to us? From the Wright Brothers to the Apollo program engineers and beyond engineers are shaking their heads.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I think this article gives a nice rebuttal to those who feel it isn't worth the price: http://www.wired.com/2014/11/in-defe...space-tourism/
    I've discussed this in detail on other fora, but to recap my own attitude: SS1/SS2 are cool, but dead-end technology. Getting to and from orbit is the key to opening space, and the equipment developed for VG doesn't help us get there. It's a technological hurdle, not a public-acceptance one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I have one simple comment... What the hell happened to us? From the Wright Brothers to the Apollo program engineers and beyond engineers are shaking their heads.
    The world sees over 70 launches into space each year. We've got spacecraft operating through the entire solar system and beyond; have landed others safely on three objects in the solar system (and are about to land on a fourth); Some Earth orbits are so crowded there are international committees to coordinate additions. As an engineer with 35+ years experience in military and civil space programs, I've been personally involved in the design, development, launch, test, or operations for about 14 separate spacecraft. Been involved in preliminary design or proposals for about 20 more. If I'm shaking my head, it's because I want a couple of years of just nice quiet feasibility studies before I retire.

Manned space vehicles...not so much. Manned space flight is the hardest thing humankind has ever done, and like all hard things, it takes a reason to do them. The challenge itself is sufficient in most endeavors, but manned space flight is also the most *expensive* thing we've ever done. It's a game of nations, not corporations. Its economic return (vs. unmanned systems) is near zero; in this day and age, only countries can afford to play.

Traditionally, exploration has been driven by national pride or the expectation of profit. Manned spaceflight is big on the first, but until one can break even on it, you're not going to see the spread of manned exploration until you can get the cost way down. No bucks, no Buck Rodgers.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    have landed others safely on three objects in the solar system (and are about to land on a fourth)
    Actually 4 going on 5 (first successful soft landings on each in parentheses)
    -The Moon (Luna 9 1966)
    -Venus (Venera 7 1970)
    -Mars (Mars 3 1971)
    -Titan (Huygens 2005)
    -Comet 67P/C-G (Rosetta tomorrow (?))
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Thanks Ron.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607