Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two lost

Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two lost

I just heard on the news that Virgin Galactic lost Space Ship Two a few minutes ago - no other details were given. Anyone have any more information?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    I just heard on the news that Virgin Galactic lost Space Ship Two a few minutes ago - no other details were given. Anyone have any more information?
    Data is still coming in. One fatal, one serious injury. System had switched to a new plastic-based fuel from the previous rubber-based one. Looking for a higher specific impulse, I believe (e.g., more power). "There's a fine line between a rocket and a bomb...and the finer the line, the better the rocket."

One report said the engine started, then stopped, then started, and stopped again, then exploded. I suspect the engine isn't designed for a restart, and this could be a significant data point. Imagery shows the vehicle scattered in pieces on the desert floor, so the crew would have had to use personal parachutes.

Ron Wanttaja

A sad day for the program. News just reported one fatality and one serious injury. I hope Branson doesn't give up.

Banned
    In an interview with someone close to the project, he said that the accident would either bring it to an end because of the costs or set it back 1 or 2 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    In an interview with someone close to the project, he said that the accident would either bring it to an end because of the costs or set it back 1 or 2 decades.
    Maybe, but the problem could have been something easy to fix. Remember the G650 that crashed on a test flight a year and a half ago? That barely slowed the certification of the G650. Apples and oranges, I know, but a mishap isn't necessarily a show stopper.

More importantly, RIP to the deceased, and hope the survivor recovers quickly. Thoughts to their families, friends, and co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Maybe, but the problem could have been something easy to fix. Remember the G650 that crashed on a test flight a year and a half ago? That barely slowed the certification of the G650.
    Then there was the Skycatcher. Cessna has two prototypes crash during spin testing. They still followed through with that project.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    Then there was the Skycatcher. Cessna has two prototypes crash during spin testing. They still followed through with that project.
    Really!?!?.....How'd that work out for ya?

Go back and read Kyle's complete understanding of the fruit family.

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    No fatalities, and it's not like the design hinged on some very cutting-edge technology....

Ron Wanttaja

So today's good news appears to be that the surviving pilot, Peter Siebold, was discharged from the hospital Monday. Folks are amazed at his having the spacecraft leaving him at something like 60,000' and mach 1 in nothing but a flight suit and a parachute. Be very interesting to hear the entire story once he is debriefed.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Seems to be some critical talk about their whole space program from some of those that know the subject, NASA/rocketry folks. Glad at least the one pilot made it, I do think it will be a serious setback.

I notice L Decaprio invested $$ into the project, and is a possible future traveler. Since he is a firm anti 'global warming' advocate I wonder how that meshes? Here we are taxing excessive carbon emissions, but they can spend oodles on what mostly amounts to a 'joy ride'.

Reminds me of a conversation with one that thought a guy shouldn't go grouse hunting, as they ate a chicken sandwich.