Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Drivers license medical

If you read the bill they are making anyone going after a PP certificate on the level we are talking. Meaning flying all the smaller things, one still needs to pass a medical. Then they can fly the smaller 4 seat airplanes using your drivers license. IMHO this is back peddling on the issues. I do not need to get a medical or go in for a medical to drive my car. I self certify that I am able to drive when I went for my drivers license.
    I wonder what will be next? Not holding my breath on any of this. Seems like double standards to me.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    EAA main page shows the last news update to PBOR 2 as September 25, 2015. As usual, you must go to the AOPA web site to get the latest news. November 18th is the date set by the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation for markup and to move the bill, S.571, forward toward a vote in the Senate. Another step closer.
    The EAA main page I go to shows an update as of November 12, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If you read the bill they are making anyone going after a PP certificate on the level we are talking. Meaning flying all the smaller things, one still needs to pass a medical. Then they can fly the smaller 4 seat airplanes using your drivers license. IMHO this is back peddling on the issues. I do not need to get a medical or go in for a medical to drive my car. I self certify that I am able to drive when I went for my drivers license.
    I wonder what will be next? Not holding my breath on any of this. Seems like double standards to me.

Tony
    My Point. We were told they are modeling this after the Sport Pilot certificate. I don't believe anyone has to go see a doctor to get this SP certificate. If you have a drivers license you can get this certificate. Why not this certificate also? What gives?

Tony

My Point. We were told they are modeling this after the Sport Pilot certificate. I don't believe anyone has to go see a doctor to get this SP certificate. If you have a drivers license you can get this certificate. Why not this certificate also? What gives?

Tony
    Forgive me for potentially not having as much understanding on the issue as some of you on the forum, but my understanding is that without compromises like this the bill wouldn't have made it as far as it has. I think the only reason we have 69 co-sponsors is because of some of the concessions made. Ideally the bill would have made it through the process untouched, but I think this could still be a pretty significant win for private pilots.

What do the rest of you think?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Eric
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    The EAA main page I go to shows an update as of November 12, 2015.
    Sometime during the 8 hours between my post, and your post, the EAA updated their web page. It was all over the Internet on other aviation web pages before the EAA finally woke up and responded.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    Forgive me for potentially not having as much understanding on the issue as some of you on the forum, but my understanding is that without compromises like this the bill wouldn't have made it as far as it has. I think the only reason we have 69 co-sponsors is because of some of the concessions made. Ideally the bill would have made it through the process untouched, but I think this could still be a pretty significant win for private pilots.

What do the rest of you think?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Eric

PBOT2, if enacted, will be a huge step forward. Apparently, some people just don't appreciate what it takes to get a bunch of professional politicians to actually do something that has no direct payback to them.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    PBOT2, if enacted, will be a huge step forward. Apparently, some people just don't appreciate what it takes to get a bunch of professional politicians to actually do something that has no direct payback to them.

BJC
    Really, well they enacted Sport Pilot. I was just asking why they changed the wording from what is already set forth under the Sport Pilot rule? So my next question. When will anyone going after a Sport Pilot Certificate have to pass a medical first?

Double standard IMHO.

Tony

Really, well they enacted Sport Pilot. I was just asking why they changed the wording from what is already set forth under the Sport Pilot rule? So my next question. When will anyone going after a Sport Pilot Certificate have to pass a medical first?

Double standard IMHO.

Tony

I do believe the FAA instituted the Sport Pilot certificate without congress being involved. Huge difference. The bill is dead without the compromises.

After a great deal of work on the part of the EAA and other groups, the FAA created the Light Sport Aircraft category and Certification. It's worth noting that this was in part so the FAA could closer regulate the 2 seat and heavier ultralight aircraft and pilots that flew them by classifying them as Light Sport Aircraft and Light Sport Pilots.

After a great deal of work on the part of the EAA and AOPA, the FAA after much foot dragging, acted on the EAA and AOPA petition to change the medical requirements to eliminate the third class medicals for pilots of a number of light aircraft. The FAA acted in secret and passed it off to the DOT, who has successfully sat upon the FAA recommendations for years now with no action what-so-ever other than continuously pushing back the date.

So, EAA and AOPA went to their friends in Congress and asked for help. This is the only avenue left to us at this point in time. A bill was submitted in the house and senate in 2014, which never even made it even to the respective committees for discussion, effectively killing the bills. For 2015, the bills were rewritten and submitted again, with a year long push from the EAA and AOPA to get these bills moving. Pilots are a very small groups, so enacting any bill for us would be considered to be special interest legislation. After a lengthy push, it had become clear that we simply were not going to get enough support to get the bills through committee, and that is where they would once again die. The only way to get more senators and congressmen on board was going to be with a compromise. So, the bill was rewritten to include some medical oversight in order to get enough support on board to get the bill moving. That's our choice. Compromise and get something, or don't compromise and get nothing. I know I have contacted my congressman and senators repeatedly and seen nothing beyond form letters back to me and my name added to their spam mailing lists. None of the congress weasels elected to represent me will support the bill even in it's current form, so getting it through Congress, even now, is not a done deal. It is possible that it could be further compromised in Congress, or have other bills added onto it that could cause it to fail. So we can either get behind the bill and keep pushing in hopes of getting some relief from the current medical requirements and costs, or we can turn our backs and most assuredly get nothing.

-Cub Builder