Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license medical

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Warner View Post
    The thing that bothers me is that the liberal media will get wind of this and twist it around to being unsafe and get the general public into opposing it and cause their congress reps & senators to vote against it. Of course, then Obama might veto it even if it does pass. Hopefully that won't happen.
    He certainly could veto it. But Obama signed both the Small Aircraft Revitalization Act of 2013 and the first Pilot's Bill of Rights Act back in 2012. That's a good sign that he'll approve this one.

One factor in favor of his approval of the new bill is that the second Pilot's Bill of Rights act is bi-partisan. Vetoing it, he'd tick off members of his own party. With the Democrats the minority party in both houses, he really can't afford to do that.

Of course, there are some aspects in the bill NOT related to pilot medicals that may generate their own controversy, and certainly a non-related "poison pill" rider could be added that would guarantee a veto.

Ron Wanttaja

In addition to PBOR2 being introduced in both chambers of Congress, you gotta love Congressman Todd Rokita (R-IN) for also introducing what seems to be another GAPPA. Only the title is available thus far

H.R.1086 - To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or revise regulations with respect to the medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots, and for other purposes.114th Congress (2015-2016)

Going nowhere fast. Anybody who thinks this is something Congress really cares about is kidding themselves.

Here is the text of GAPPA 2015. Essentially the same language as PBOR2. Includes IFR and a prohibition on enforcing the old rules after 180 days.

Ted

I
    114th CONGRESS
    1st Session
    H. R. 1086
    IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    February 25, 2015
    Mr. Rokita (for himself, Mr. Graves of Missouri, Mr. Pearce, Mr. Peterson, Mr. Lipinski, Mr. Flores, Mr. Hanna, and Mr. Pompeo) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
    A BILL
    To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or revise regulations with respect to the medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots, and for other purposes.
    1.Short title
    This Act may be cited as the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2015.2.Medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots

(a)In general
    Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue or revise medical certification regulations to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a covered aircraft without regard to any medical certification or proof of health requirement otherwise applicable under Federal law if—
    (1)the individual possesses a valid State driver's license and complies with any medical requirement associated with that license;
    (2)the individual is transporting not more than 5 passengers;
    (3)the individual is operating under visual flight rules or instrument flight rules; and
    (4)the relevant flight, including each portion thereof, is not carried out—(A)for compensation, including that no passenger or property on the flight is being carried for compensation;(B)at an altitude that is more than 14,000 feet above mean sea level;(C)outside the United States, unless authorized by the country in which the flight is conducted; or(D)at an indicated air speed exceeding 250 knots.

(b)Covered aircraft defined
    In this section, the term covered aircraft means an aircraft that—(1)is not authorized under Federal law to carry more than 6 occupants; and(2)has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6000 pounds.

(c)Report required
    Not later than 5 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall submit to Congress a report that describes the effect of the regulations issued or revised under subsection (a) and includes statistics with respect to changes in small aircraft activity and safety incidents.

(d)Prohibition on enforcement actions
    On and after the date that is 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator may not take an enforcement action for not holding a valid third-class medical certificate against a pilot of a covered aircraft for a flight if the pilot and the flight meet the applicable requirements under paragraphs (1) through (4) of subsection (a) unless the Administrator has published final regulations in the Federal Register under subsection (a).

The existing draft Rule remains stuck in DOT. they updated their Rule Tracker today and kicked the date the proposed rule is supposed to go to OMB from 27 Feb to 13 April 2015.

IF the rule goes as scheduled to OMB then it could be publicly disclosed in time for OSH.

If it slides, then we will get nothing from Huerta at Osh. The man is zip lipped.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    SEN Inhofe seemed to think the legislation should be passed by end of May. DOT/FAA recalcitrance might help give it a push along. I'm still expecting I'll have to renew my third class which expires in a few months.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    SEN Inhofe seemed to think the legislation should be passed by end of May. DOT/FAA recalcitrance might help give it a push along. I'm still expecting I'll have to renew my third class which expires in a few months.
    Note the final paragraph of the bill as posted by TedK:

On and after the date that is 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator may not take an enforcement action for not holding a valid third-class medical certificate against a pilot of a covered aircraft for a flight if the pilot and the flight meet the applicable requirements under paragraphs (1) through (4) of subsection (a) unless the Administrator has published final regulations in the Federal Register under subsection (a).

In other words, if the FAA *doesn't* enact the provisions within 180 days of the bill going into effect, they cannot legally enforce the requirement to hold a Class III medical.

But better get yours renewed; this provision couldn't go into effect until the end of 2015 at the earliest.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    SEN Inhofe seemed to think the legislation should be passed by end of May. DOT/FAA recalcitrance might help give it a push along.
    That sure seems optimistic but Senator Inhofe knows his business. I'll show my support by saying should PBOR2 or GAPPA pass before OSH, then I'll help sponsor a celebration over at SOS Brothers. I'll even send a special invite to the Honorable Mister Huerta.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    OSH is the main reason for renewal. Hoping to fly my RV-4 in this year. Took my Cub in 2012...ten hours each way.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Does anyone know if this bill will have an affect on a sport pilot and not a private pilot limited to SP limitations due to 3rd class medical requirements? Will the rule allow SPs to fly faster, heavier, GA aircraft?

Thank you.