Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Drivers license medical

Quote Originally Posted by detectivedrew View Post
    Does anyone know if this bill will have an affect on a sport pilot and not a private pilot limited to SP limitations due to 3rd class medical requirements? Will the rule allow SPs to fly faster, heavier, GA aircraft?

Thank you.
    You can scroll up to post 74 and read the language in the Bill and draw your own conclusions, however, as I read it, it simply says a Med is not required to fly airplanes up to 6000lbs.

Since an aviator with a Sport Pilot Certificate is limited to Aircraft the meet the LSA requirement, I would conclude, No a SP wouldn't be legal to fly a Cherokee Six.

However, if this Bill or similar passes, a Sport Pilot going after a Private Pilot certificate shouldn't need a Medical.

Perversely, if you had access to a Night and Instrument equipped LSA, I think you could meet all of the aeronautical experience requirements in an LSA, however, the check ride for PP is required to be performed in a Certificated aircraft.
    Last edited by TedK; 03-15-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivedrew View Post
    Does anyone know if this bill will have an affect on a sport pilot and not a private pilot limited to SP limitations due to 3rd class medical requirements? Will the rule allow SPs to fly faster, heavier, GA aircraft?
    My guess is that it will not. Sport Pilots will still be restricted to aircraft meeting the LSA definition. They will be expected to take the additional training/test to get a Private ticket, if they want go outside the LSA world.

Ron Wanttaja

As a Sport Pilot, I'd have to complete the rest of the syllabus for the PPL. That means the hood, night flying, communications, and retaking the written test (they're different; the SP test is much shorter, as a lot of stuff is left out), as well as a check ride by an evaluator.

My SP instructor was very smart in having me fly PPL length cross country flights (both dual and solo), so that's out of the way. Plus I've got well over the solo hours required.

The FAA would have to come up with endorsement language for "non-medical Private certificate limitations" if no medical was provided; from what I've read it's a loophole that's not been filled and not addressed. It's a bit like Private Pilots flying under Sport Pilot rules - no endorsement required, no special log book entries to be made.

However, if this Bill or similar passes, a Sport Pilot going after a Private Pilot certificate shouldn't need a Medical.
    One can't take the check ride without proof of a current medical right now; it's part of the evaluator's checklist. So an SP would have to have a medical to grab a PPL. One of the many things that will prove to be a "gotcha" if the rule makers aren't advised of it.

Ron is on the money on Sport Pilots and aircraft limitations. It's inherently part of the certificate - it doesn't matter if astronauts aren't required a medical, a Sport Pilot cannot fly a space ship.

I've no beef with the LSA rules. They had to have a cutoff somewhere on gross weight, after all. But it would be nice to snatch up a C150 for a song (as I could have last year).
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 03-16-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I've no beef with the LSA rules. They had to have a cutoff somewhere on gross weight, after all. But it would be nice to snatch up a C150 for a song (as I could have last year).
    If C150s *did* qualify for Sport Pilot, that song would have been a long Wagnerian aria by a buxom blonde wench with an unbelievably 3-D cuirass and a whole chorus of do-wop Valkyries. The demand would have been much, much higher.....

Ron "Yo-Ho-To-Yo" Wanttaja

At at aviation convention 2 weeks ago, a senior FAA medical person clearly said the FAA was in favor of this, ( the medical issue, not an LSA thing) however it was being held up by the Sec. of Transportation, who was not in favor of it. I also don't think this DOT man is a pilot and may have come in office since this movement got started. I know that I heard Sen Inhofe speak at Osh at least 3 years ago.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Current Secretary of Transportation, Anthony Foxx, entered office July 2013. Former Mayor of Charlotte, NC. 2009-2013.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I wonder if we could muster the 100,000 signature in 30 days it takes to get an on-line petition acted on by the White House?

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    I wonder if we could muster the 100,000 signature in 30 days it takes to get an on-line petition acted on by the White House?
    He'd just say it's being reviewed by the appropriate agencies and being addressed by Congress - which is exactly where it sits. This issue is huge with us but super minor to him, as it would be for any President.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

See extended discussion on PBOR2 and SEL sport pilots here. Bottom line? SP's have already had all training and testing that PPL's have had that is relevant to daylight VFR flying of larger, faster aircraft than LSA's. If PPL's can train in a Cub then go fly a C-172 without any further regulatory requirements - including no medical -- then there's no logical, relevant reason sport pilots shouldn't be able to do so too -- daylight VFR -- as SP's, now. Vis-a-vis daylight VFR, the only reason there has ever been a distinction of aircraft is the medical... not any relevant training or test standards.
    Last edited by rshannon; 04-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.

The DOT May 2015 Significant Rulemaking Report ( https://cms.dot.gov/regulations/may-...emaking-report ) provides: "to OMB on 6/15/2015"

Does anyone have insight as to the validity of the new dates? I have provided a copy of the relevant portion of the report below.

Federal Aviation Administration
    Medical Self-Evaluation for Certain Noncommercial Operations in Lieu of Airman Medical Certification Black
    Popular Title: Medical Self-Certification
    RIN 2120-AK45
    Stage: NPRM
    Previous Stage:None
    Abstract: This rulemaking would consider allowing certain operations to be conducted by individuals exercising private-pilot privileges without holding a current FAA airman medical certificate. The intended effect of this action is to provide relief from having to obtain a medical certificate for pilots engaged in low-risk flying, such as private pilots operating a small, general aviation aircraft.
    Effects:
    Information Collection
    Privacy
    Prompting action: Secretarial/Head of Operating Administration Decision
    Legal Deadline: None
    Rulemaking Project Initiated: 02/04/2014
    Docket Number:
    Dates for NPRM:
    Milestone Originally
    Scheduled
    Date
    New