Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license medical

Latest status just released on the DOT website and it has slipped a month.

No apparent progress.

1061 days since EAA and AOPA submitted the request for 3rd class medical exemption. What is the status?
    375 days since the FAA started the NPRM. Now 6 months behind schedule with no reason given to the public.
    Will the current Congress introduce new bills for the GA Pilot Protection Act?
    When will EAA update the membership with current status of what the EAA says is a "top priority"?
    Do we need to put pressure on our Congressional representatives to get DOT moving on this issue.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    1061 days since EAA and AOPA submitted the request for 3rd class medical exemption. What is the status?
    Stalled, because the FAA doesn't want to do it.

375 days since the FAA started the NPRM. Now 6 months behind schedule with no reason given to the public.
    Will the current Congress introduce new bills for the GA Pilot Protection Act?
    No. Their attention span about matches thier individual IQ's in seconds; i.e., less than a minute. Unless it does something to make them think that it will help them get re-elected.

When will EAA update the membership with current status of what the EAA says is a "top priority"?
    Just after they finish promoting the B-17 tour.

Do we need to put pressure on our Congressional representatives to get DOT moving on this issue.
    Yes. And to re-introduce the bill to make it happen.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Stalled, because the FAA doesn't want to do it.
    Hmmmm... slowed, perhaps, because some at the FAA didn't like it. But at the Recreational Aviation Summit last week, all the FAA guys there were in favor of it, and said the FAA Administrator was in favor as well.

It's apparently passed all the FAA hoops. It's current stalled at the Department of Transportation (the FAA's parent organization), which is handling protests from organizations like the AMA. Congressional input to the DOT probably *would* help.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Hmmmm... slowed, perhaps, because some at the FAA didn't like it. But at the Recreational Aviation Summit last week, all the FAA guys there were in favor of it, and said the FAA Administrator was in favor as well.

It's apparently passed all the FAA hoops. It's current stalled at the Department of Transportation (the FAA's parent organization), which is handling protests from organizations like the AMA. Congressional input to the DOT probably *would* help.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, you're a national treasure, and your POV is much appreciated, but why aren't we hearing same or similar from EAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    Ron, you're a national treasure, and your POV is much appreciated, but why aren't we hearing same or similar from EAA?
    Dunno about national treasure, unless you're thinking of a big fat lump of Fool's Gold. :-)

My position at the meeting last week was a bit anomalous... I was the only "outsider" there (given my rather weird sense of humor, it's probably the LAST invite I'll get, too :-). While invited by EAA, I was not officially part of the EAA delegation.

Like anyone who works for a company, the EAA folks would have to be guided by their corporation's policies regarding public data release. The EAA guys can't just post their impression of what happened, just like Hal can't post a summary based on what he heard in the hallways after the meeting. Their employer requires that information like this go through a release process...and they can't talk about it, publicly, until that item is released. They just aren't allowed to answer off the cuff, like I do. The FAA guys are under the same strictures, probably worse.

But I'm not EAA, and I'm not FAA. I'm a bit freer to speak on what I observed (reason #2 for NOT inviting me back :-). There's stuff that was obviously sensitive, or personal opinion, and I haven't commented on those.

Another factor is that I'm rather tuned in to the online communities, where stuff like the medical reform is always being discussed. It's natural for me to chime in, then, when questions arose and I had information from the meeting to share. But, again, the EAA guys can't do that, and after working these problems all day, they probably don't want to talk about them on their time off.

The people at EAA that are working these problems are the people you *want* working these issues. They're knowledgeable, they're capable, and they're passionate fans of personal aviation. I've known some of them for 10-15 years, and have been happy to help when issues arise that are within my limited zone of expertise.

And... doggone it, the FAA people I met were good, too. They weren't hidebound bureaucrats, they were guys who loved aviation. We got a private tour of the museum after the first day's meeting (I got to sit in the P-38!) and they were like any airplane nut in a candy shop.

The problems we're worrying about the most aren't technical or medical...they're political. EAA's working those, too, but sometimes you can't talk about it as much.

The last factor to consider is...well, I could have heard them wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't even be a low exponent. Or maybe I'm channeling my inner Brian Williams, and none of this happened at all. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-15-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Byron J. Covey
    And... doggone it, the FAA people I met were good, too. They weren't hidebound bureaucrats, they were guys who loved aviation. We got a private tour of the museum after the first day's meeting (I got to sit in the P-38!) and they were like any airplane nut in a candy shop.

Ron Wanttaja
    I'm not surprised that you found the FAA people to be good people who love aviation. Over the years, I've learned not to judge individuals by the organizations that they are affiliated with. There are some very good, capable, well-intentioned people is some of the very worst organizations. That is also my experience with the FAA people whom I have gotten to know well.

BJC

Agreed, but...

Dunno about national treasure, unless you're thinking of a big fat lump of Fool's Gold. :-)

Like anyone who works for a company, the EAA folks would have to be guided by their corporation's policies regarding public data release. The EAA guys can't just post their impression of what happened,...

Ron Wanttaja
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the thorough reply, Mr NTTIABFLOFG*. I understand and agree with individuals not speaking out of turn. What I meant was: Why haven't we heard any updates from EAA "corporate"?

Best,

Jeff

*National Treasure That Is A Big Fat Lump Of Fool's Gold

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the thorough reply, Mr NTTIABFLOFG*. I understand and agree with individuals not speaking out of turn. What I meant was: Why haven't we heard any updates from EAA "corporate"?

Best,

Jeff

*National Treasure That Is A Big Fat Lump Of Fool's Gold
    Jeff, et al -

We published our summary of the summit last Thursday:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-a...-key-ga-issues

Watch EAA.org and e-Hotline for any additional news or updates as we get them.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Jeff, et al -

We published our summary of the summit last Thursday:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-a...-key-ga-issues

Watch EAA.org and e-Hotline for any additional news or updates as we get them.

Thanks -

Hal
    The Summary said

"More information from this week's summit will be published in upcoming issues (emphasis added) of EAA Sport Aviation magazine. In addition, EAA and FAA officials agreed to maintain regular updates on the major action items identified this week, as well as meet for high-level discussions during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2015 in July."

I get that SA has a wider circulation than this site, but the language troubled me a bit. I hope EAA won't dribble out the info.

I am really hoping that EAA overachieves in keeping us informed in what their position is, what they have done, what they intend to do and where we can help.

thanks

Ted
    Last edited by TedK; 02-16-2015 at 07:32 PM.