Thread: Earhart found ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Earhart found ?

On msn there is a news headline that caught my eye, until I noticed that the source was our old friends at TIGHAR, which I think stands for something like. "The Int Group for Endless Humorous and Amusing Aviation Tall Tales".
    The body of the report says they found a piece of aluminum skin on Nikomuro Island which therefore must have been from her plane.
    You got to admire their persistence.

Here is a more informative article.

Of all of the pieces to "find" what are the odds that they'd find the ONE that is from an undocumented field repair?

And what happened to all of the rivets? Did Fred and Amelia get bored and drill them out while practicing to take their A&P practical tests if they ever got off the island?

I ain't buyin...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Of all of the pieces to "find" what are the odds that they'd find the ONE that is from an undocumented field repair?

And what happened to all of the rivets? Did Fred and Amelia get bored and drill them out while practicing to take their A&P practical tests if they ever got off the island?
    For that matter, if the "field repair" was replacing a plexiglas window with a sheet of aluminum, why does the aluminum have rows of rivet holes across it? If there had been a window there, seems like there wouldn't have been any structure across the middle of the window to rivet to....

Ron Wanttaja

Has there been many aluminum airplanes wrecked in the S. Pacific since 1937? ........Oh wait a minute.......

OMG! They found this part in 1991 and just now figured out it was from Amelia's airplane? What a coincidence!
    Last edited by martymayes; 10-30-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Everytime they run low on funds, they announce another hot lead that proves they now know exactly where the plane is. It hasn't panned out the last three times they had figured it out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    For that matter, if the "field repair" was replacing a plexiglas window with a sheet of aluminum, why does the aluminum have rows of rivet holes across it? If there had been a window there, seems like there wouldn't have been any structure across the middle of the window to rivet to....

Ron Wanttaja
    Only reason I could see for row of rivets across the middle would be if a stiffener was installed behind it for more support. But then this begs the question, why was that particular piece ripped off the plane? I could think of easier places to get metal from than having to drill out a bunch of rivets.

I'm sticking with my theory the plane was found by Gilligan and the castaways.