Thread: Continental A-75 / A-80 piston pins

Continental A-75 / A-80 piston pins

I'm based in the U.K. and am hoping to rebuild a very old, but low time A-80. (Continental confirmed some years ago that the engine was exported / imported to the UK in the early 1940s.)

Many overhaul parts are common with the A-65 and although scarce in the U.K., are still available - or I'm hoping so. The piston pins in my A-80 are within original limits, but I've been advised that they must be replaced with thicker walled pins.

As a starting point, can anyone with expertise with small Continental engines direct me to where I might be able to find a definitive list/ manual, showing exactly what needs replacing in my A-80 ( or the A-75) to bring it in line with the most recent Continental requirements for this engine. I appreciate that any "official" Continental support for this engine ceased many years ago, but I guess that the information I need, including a part number for the newer, thicker walled, pins, has to be available somewhere. There aren't many A-80s around, but there must still be quite a few A-75s and the pins are, as far as I know, the same.

I understand that the A-80 was not the most popular of the small Continentals, but it is what I have and I am committed to sticking with it, barring any major disasters with the rebuild process!

Look forward to any advice and comments.

Ian

I would suggest some correspondence with the guys at Fresno Air Parts in Fresno, CA. (559) 237-4863 You'll find their ads in Trade-A-Plane. They carry a lot of NOS and New Manufacture A-65/75/80 parts. I used them to build an updated A-75 and to repair the top end on an A-80.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 10-30-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Many thanks Cub Builder and I'll contact them & see if they can help.

Ian