Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser 2300

For my S-2A, and my friend's Eagles, a 300nm trip would be two hops. I want to see my destination on the horizon at no more than 175nm. That is throttled back to 65%, or about 9gph on a Lyco 200hp IO-360.

None of the biplanes are going to go 300nm comfortably in 1 hop unless you have an extra fuel tank in a front seat or under the belly.

Two hops is not a big deal though. And you can work on a lot more aerobatic skills if you spend $80K on your airplane and $70K on gas and coaching rather than $150K on an airplane.

As noted above, an airplane is not a lifetime commitment. If you want to learn to fly acro, and go 300nm in one hop, start with a Decathlon. When you have started to be able to fly a Decathlon out to its limits, move to a Pitts and accept the shorter legs. Once you have started being able to get 90% out of a Pitts, if you ever do, then think about the budget for a monoplane.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

+1 !!!!!
    "And you can work on a lot more aerobatic skills if you spend $80K on your airplane and $70K on gas and coaching rather than $150K on an airplane."