Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Openaero - IAC rules?

I will offer the caution that a Sportsman pilot who is using OpenAero to craft his first ever Free Program has discovered that the rules checking/warning function does not appear to be annunciating illegal repetitions of figures. This appears to only be occurring for IAC Sportsman Free Programs. So please use the Rule Book Judges Checklist For Free Programs before you are done composing your flight program.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

The issue with the missing checks of repeats in Sportsman Free has now been corrected in the new version that is out. Check it out at www.openaero.net

Fly safely
    Chris

This note is to identify a problem with Free Programs prepared using the OpenAero software, where a Floating Point is used. OpenAero does not write the required notation correctly. For IAC contests, the rule book specifies in 6.2 that the initials "(FP)" must appear on the Form A where a Floating Point is applied to a figure K. OpenAero omits this.

An unfortunate friend asked me to check his Free Program and I observed this issue. Not a big one but the Free Program is technically non-conforming to the rules. He can hand write the correct notation and since the rest of the program looks OK, the forms can then be signed and dated. But at a contest the Free Program should be rejected as illegal.

If ChrisPilot is up for it, updating OpenAero to provide the correct notation would be very appreciated.

Best of luck,

Wes
    Last edited by WLIU; 07-15-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Hi Wes

I have checked the floating point rule and it appears to work in version 1.5.1.8, running Chrome. The letters FP dues however not appear, but the K value for the figure is shown in brackets. If there is a need to change the form itself, you have to contact the developers, as I just coded the rules-file, which is already a stretch of my computer skills...

Fly safely out there

Thanks for looking at the problem. IAC rules require that the "FP" appear. Without the "FP", the program is non-compliant and can/should be rejected at IAC contests.

I just enterred this as an issue on the OpenAero.net project.

Wes
    N78PS
    IAC Rules Committee member

To follow up, the github.com/OpenAero issues list reports that the correction has been made as of OpenAero version 1.5.2

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS

We have a new OpenAero issue. A US IAC competitor created an Unlimited Free Program and the CIVA positioning K (40) was provided on the Form A by the software rather than the IAC Unlimited positioning K (26). The error slipped by the Judge who checked the flight program (shame!) and made it to a contest where it was spotted. IAC rules state that the incorrectly specified figure on the flight program has its score set to zero. Unhappy competitor.

Please double check all Unlimited Free Programs prepared using OpenAero.

I do not have a Github account so it would be helpful if someone forwarded this issue to the OpenAero project.

See you at the box.

Wes
    Chair - IAC Judges Program
    Last edited by WLIU; 08-18-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I do not have a Github account so it would be helpful if someone forwarded this issue to the OpenAero project.
    Done. https://github.com/OpenAero/main/issues/195

Ringo has replied -- as he said at the Github link, there is no IAC Unlimited category selection now, but he will add it later. You have to select CIVA rules to get Unlimited for the time being. However, during the next step, it does by default show "40" as the Positioning K value. But you can change that manually. Also, when printing and saving the Forms, you can select IAC Forms. Then you get what we use here in IAC-sanctioned contests, not the CIVA forms. I am glad Wes brought this up here -- a good reminder that everything has to be carefully checked down to the finest detail. "Devil is in the Details" -- my motto.