Thread: About to start first build....Cozy MkIV

About to start first build....Cozy MkIV

Hey!

My first thread on here....although I admit to being a long time lurker while I have been researching what I would like to build!

After much (oh god sooo much) deliberation I finally settled on the Cozy Mk IV. I have a pretty simple mission, me+SHMBO+bags. Good speed and long range. My "mission within the mission" is that I want to visit all MLB ball parks in one season!

I have never worked with composites before, however I have spent my whole career in Engineering, so I think I will be capable of pulling it off. I do plan to keep to a reasonably tight budget, by this I dont mean cutting corners, simply that I dont intend to fit a fancy $50k avionics package or $30k paint scheme..you get the idea.

Most of the construction will take place in my 2 car garage at home now that my project car has been completed (1969 Fiat spider for those who are interested). I assume that when it comes to fitting wings etc I will have to move to a trailer as I guess it will be too wide to be transported by trailer at that point? Perhaps someone could advise?

I have several EAA chapters nearby, I will be contacting them today for advise and support. I am also lucky enough that the EAA composite construction workshop will be here in Houston in December, so I will be going along to that also!

One reason that I decided to go homebuilt rather than the Mooneys I was looking at, is that I have a large amount of spare time. I work a 28day on, 28day off rotation, with very little time commitments in this 28day off period. It would be my intention to get as many hours in as possible (assuming the bank balance allows for this). What would be REALLY great (and pretty unrealistic) would be flying it to OSH '15, as the last few years I have driven...and driving from Houston is a drag!!

Anyway...I plan on becoming a much more active member on here rather than lurking like I have been, thanks for all the help and advise I have already received, even if you didnt realize it!

Steve

Welcome to your new obsession!

Your local EAA chapter will be a real boost, if only because every month they'll ask you how the build is going....and you'll want to say something in the positive. And listen to everyone - the tube-and-gusset fabric covered ultralight guy and the RV12 rivet bucking guy all know things that are surprisingly relevant to your composite build.

A few things I've learned from my own build:

1) Follow the plans. Bright ideas rarely pay off; chances are they were tried and rejected in the prototypes that came before the final blueprints. In just about every build there are areas of "builder's discretion" for one's creativity to shine anyway.

2) Find a builder's group that fits your aircraft. We live in a wonderous age of the Internet and so have access to people who have made all the common mistakes in reading plans or have good techniques in getting things done.

3) When you hit a wall on a task or a portion of the build, do something else on the aircraft. Every builder I've talked to hits the Builder's Doldrums where they'd rather watch reruns of Ancient Aliens than even look at their project. I got so frustrated with rigging that I walked away from my Nieuport for six months....and then realized there were a lot of other tasks that I could be doing while I figured out what I was doing wrong with that. Even if it's just inventory and straightening up the tools or reviewing the plans, switch from whatever task is sucking the love out of your plane.

4) That said, do one thing at a time. If you're building the rudder don't stress that you're unsure of how the cable for the carburator heat for the engine will run through the firewall. Table issues that are far down the road; you'll pick up skills as you go as you need them.

5) Don't throw out any piece of metal longer than an inch and a half or fabric that is more than two inches square.

6) Perfect is the enemy of good. If an assembly is kinda ugly but meets spec and is sound, let it be, particularly if it can't be seen when the aircraft is done. I know guys who basically built three aircraft to get one, throwing out functional pieces and assemblies because they weren't "perfect."

7) Talk in the affirmative about your project to your "Significant Others." Regardless of how supportive they are, your family and close friends are scared to death of the notion of homebuilt aircraft. We all have a tendency to converse about the difficulties of things and leave out the positive ones - don't do this on your aircraft. If all they hear is how you're screwing up the build and re-doing stuff either support will wane or they'll start having nightmares about it. Share how you're going to solve a problem or how you solved it, and on little triumphs. I put my scrap bin of misfit and reject parts in a place where the wife doesn't see it when she comes into my build area, for example.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    After much (oh god sooo much) deliberation I finally settled on the Cozy Mk IV.
    If you're going to build a COZY MKIV, I strongly suggest that you join the COZY mailing list - see:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

Over 720 members around the world can provide great builder support and information. Also, I provide OFFICIAL COZY support, and the mailing list is my main avenue for doing so, although direct questions via phone and email are always welcome as well.

As a canardian, you should also subscribe to the "Central States Newsletter" - see:

http://cozybuilders.org/ref_info/other_news.html

for information on how to join. It's a paper newsletter published by Terry Schubert every three months.

Contact me any time for COZY questions, and hope to see you on the COZY list.

Also, check out the canard zone forum: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/

It went offline a few years back, but recently got up and running again. All the old posts are still there, and they may help you. I think there were a couple Cozy projects there. It has been pretty quiet there since the restart, but I'm sure photos of your progress would be appreciated. It would also probably help that forum grow back to where it was.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I signed up for the mailing lists and the canardzone forum. Seems to be a great deal of information out there. I was considering printing it all out and making up folders to put on my garage shelf for referencing, but now Im not sure if the shelving will hold so much weight in paper!

I have now joined my local EAA chapter (Houston, Chapter 12) and luckily enough there is a Cozy builder already there! His is actually flying now so I hope he is willing to share his knowledge and experience.

I have also registered for the EAA composite class in Houston on Dec 6-7. The timing is very fortunate for me and I expect it will be $350 well invested!

Regarding buying materials...I see that Aircraft Spruce sells the materials by chapter, but seems confusing...for example it lists the Ch3 kit at around 550, but when added to cart it jumps up to over 700, its not tax, so Im not sure if its just an old price on the site. I was also shocked by the shipping costs. Nearly $200 for the cheapest shipping of Ch3 materials to Texas??

I seen on some other builders sites that Wicks sold similar "chapter" material kits, but they dont appear to be on their site now, did they stop this?

Aside from Spruce and Wicks, are there any other suppliers I should be checking out?

Nat Puffer's prototype Cozy Mk IV is owned by a friend and is based at Hooks (DWH). I'm sure he'd be happy to show off the plane. I'll pass along this thread so he can provide his contact info.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Nat Puffer's prototype Cozy Mk IV is owned by a friend and is based at Hooks (DWH). I'm sure he'd be happy to show off the plane. I'll pass along this thread so he can provide his contact info.
    That would be greatly appreciated! I recently moved over to Hooks from Wieser...havnt seen the Cozy around, but would love the opportunity to see it!

PM sent with contact info,
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck