Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sport Flight Instructors

Quote Originally Posted by fxflyr View Post
    Let me add: just in this very thread there is mention of the single seat LSA practical exam. It follows from there that a CFI could grant me solo privileges with the same restrictions: no passengers, flight only in single seat (which is what I own: a single seat N-numbered E-LSA (grandfather rule year 2010)). Voila, it seems that I should proceed with the written exam post haste (since I am ready for it) and then work with my existing CFI to obtain solo privileges in the single seat E-LSA via the same logic and procedures that a DPE would administer the practical test (check ride via ground based exam having radio communication with me (the testee) and the DPI (the testor)). Ok I am seeking blow back on this reading of the rules. FxFlyr Tommy
    You have been flying your single seat N-numbered E-LSA since before it was an E-LSA, correct?

Keep after it Tommy. I finally finished it up yesterday. I'm now a sport CFI. I got to do some really cool stuff on the way to getting it, but mostly it's been a bunch of drama. There a flight school with one and a club with one within my driving distance. The straight up rental is 2.5 hours from me by car (1 by plane), and the club is 1 by car and .5 by plane. They are both pretty dis-functional. I'm going to do my best to come up with something nice and vintage that I can afford so that people looking to fly sport in my area can do so. I am thinking cub, luscombe, vagabond, something like that. If I can figure out how to make it pay its own way, then maybe someday I can add something like a legend...

You have to get real stubborn to get anything done when it comes to aviation...
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by fxflyr View Post
    Let me add: just in this very thread there is mention of the single seat LSA practical exam. It follows from there that a CFI could grant me solo privileges with the same restrictions: no passengers, flight only in single seat (which is what I own: a single seat N-numbered E-LSA (grandfather rule year 2010)). Voila, it seems that I should proceed with the written exam post haste (since I am ready for it) and then work with my existing CFI to obtain solo privileges in the single seat E-LSA via the same logic and procedures that a DPE would administer the practical test (check ride via ground based exam having radio communication with me (the testee) and the DPI (the testor)). Ok I am seeking blow back on this reading of the rules. FxFlyr Tommy
    You would think that it would follow that a CFI could work with you in your single seat A/C, but everything I've been studying says that it is not allowed. Not just that they aren't going to do it because of liability or what not. They can't sing off flight instruction for anyone they can't fly with. Yes, you can take a single seat check ride and a single seat proficiency check, but there's no such thing that I've seen as single seat flight instruction. -sorry

But what is it, 20 hours or so in a 2 seater and you'd be ready to go in your single seater as a sport pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by 67jwbruce View Post
    You would think that it would follow that a CFI could work with you in your single seat A/C, but everything I've been studying says that it is not allowed. Not just that they aren't going to do it because of liability or what not. They can't sing off flight instruction for anyone they can't fly with. Yes, you can take a single seat check ride and a single seat proficiency check, but there's no such thing that I've seen as single seat flight instruction. -sorry

But what is it, 20 hours or so in a 2 seater and you'd be ready to go in your single seater as a sport pilot.
    I believe its 15 hrs dual time. 20 hrs total for a SP certificate.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I believe its 15 hrs dual time. 20 hrs total for a SP certificate.

Tony
    Yes, that sounds right, but the 'or so' tries to account for the statistics that most candidates aren't going to be able to perform to PTS after 20 hours. I flew almost 50 hours in support of the rating, 20 in LSA skycatchers, 22 getting to and from the rental facility (and extra practice of the maneuvers) in my regular 4 seater, and another 4 or 5 in other aircraft (super decathalon, C150 taildragger, and C152) on spin training, tailwheel endorsement, and more practicing the maneuvers, and I still gave the examiner a couple of places he could have sunk his claws in me if he had been out to get me... I was really fortunate, he was a great guy, and I learned a lot from him as well.

JB

I believe the people who wrote this rule understood what it took to get this certificate. For anyone to say that it can not be done in that amount of time, are really saying, the people who wrote this rule have no idea what it takes to get this certificate, they are clueless.

I don't see it that way. I see it like this. It can never be done in that amount of time because as a CFI, this person needs to make more money. 20 hrs is just not enough time for them to line thier pockets with your hard earned cash.

So what is it? The people who wrote this rule are clueless? Or they just do not understand aviation? Or the CFI saying this can never be done in this amount of time is smarter then anyone who wrote this rule. Or is it about money.

I find it entertaining when someone says that this certificate can never be had in the amount of time allotted. Really, then why did the folks in power who wrote the rule allow this or call for 20 hrs?

Let the bashing start.

Tony Sweet

No bashing from me. I have worked with plenty of the guys who wanted to be lining their pockets. The flight school with the skycatcher wanted 10 more hours of ground out of me in prep for the oral. Their justification was the their new flight instructor put in 30, just ground, I was fortunate to have an option in backup.

I'm told that I'll learn more in my next 10 hours than I have ever, so hopefully it won't be long before I have an idea of what the typical student is capable of.

I am a relatively new light sport CFI and have been working in a flying club since last fall. Most of my students are retirees from the area and I will say that for 2 of them, there is no way that they would be able to get their license in 20 hours. I just started with a new student the beginning of this month and I think that he will probably be able to be close to the 20 hour mark. Yep, I am still learning as well. I have found that trying to instruct them according to a syllabus like the one Gleim has for sport pilot just doesn't work. They got frustrated, I got frustrated and then had the epiphany of just making the lessons fun-review the past skills, try to learn a new skill, but just for them to have fun. That is really what sport pilot is about. I just instruct part-time 2 days a week. My "real" job is what pays the bills, I instruct to try and pass along what I know and to have fun. Yes, it is nice to be paid for flying rather than always having to pay, but this certainly is NOT a "line my pockets" affair to me. You should also compare the private license as well. Can be had at 40 hours, but the average these days is about 80 hours. Everyone's skill levels are different-if you flew with me and didn't have what it takes to solo at less then 10 hours, you wouldn't solo until I felt the skills were there. John Weber.

Quote Originally Posted by ransfly View Post
    I am a relatively new light sport CFI and have been working in a flying club since last fall. Most of my students are retirees from the area and I will say that for 2 of them, there is no way that they would be able to get their license in 20 hours. I just started with a new student the beginning of this month and I think that he will probably be able to be close to the 20 hour mark. Yep, I am still learning as well. I have found that trying to instruct them according to a syllabus like the one Gleim has for sport pilot just doesn't work. They got frustrated, I got frustrated and then had the epiphany of just making the lessons fun-review the past skills, try to learn a new skill, but just for them to have fun. That is really what sport pilot is about. I just instruct part-time 2 days a week. My "real" job is what pays the bills, I instruct to try and pass along what I know and to have fun. Yes, it is nice to be paid for flying rather than always having to pay, but this certainly is NOT a "line my pockets" affair to me. You should also compare the private license as well. Can be had at 40 hours, but the average these days is about 80 hours. Everyone's skill levels are different-if you flew with me and didn't have what it takes to solo at less then 10 hours, you wouldn't solo until I felt the skills were there. John Weber.
    I love this. We need a like button. Thanks for taking the time to write this. We need more like you.

The thing with SP and not so with GA or PP is the different level of certificate one can get. Meaning when flying SP one can choice to never fly nothing but a single seat, non electric, airplane. Never going anywhere are carrying any passengers.

This person will not need some of the training as the Sport Pilot who will want to travel from state to state, flying into towered airfields.

So really when one asks how many hrs does it take to get a SP certificate it really depends on the mission of the person getting the certificate.

This is just me. But if I was doing this training, I would start all my SP students out on what I would call the Entry level Training and Certificate. This would be a certificate that allows one to fly a simple single seat airplane. After say 100 hrs of flying that we can go up a level. Take aviation in bites not in one big gulp. This gets the new student or certificate holder up in the air flying faster. They then can grow at their own pace. Some may never go any farther. And some may want to advance faster.

Its very personal.

Tony

This has been a good thread. Thanks for the contributions.