Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sport Flight Instructors

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I think a flight review with the instructor on the ground is an interesting idea.
    Me, too. No question then that the CFI needs no medical for the instruction. I endorsed a pilot for tailwheel by watching him do 3 takeoffs and full stops in his FlyBaby. He'd flown the plane a couple of years, "forgot" he needed an endorsement until his insurance company pointed it out.

Instructor on the ground should be as good or better than using the FAA seminar to comply with review.
    But I haven't seen any document that allows it yet.
    (private pilot flight review)

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Me, too. No question then that the CFI needs no medical for the instruction. I endorsed a pilot for tailwheel by watching him do 3 takeoffs and full stops in his FlyBaby. He'd flown the plane a couple of years, "forgot" he needed an endorsement until his insurance company pointed it out.

That was really nice of you for helping this person. I hear the aviators of years past helped each other. I see the aviators of today only bitc# at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    That was really nice of you for helping this person. I hear the aviators of years past helped each other. I see the aviators of today only bitc# at each other.
    We only do that on the Internet and when someone cuts us off in the pattern ;-)

I think that we're in one of those times when the future could go in one of two ways. One being that Light Sport might actually fulfill its promises and one where it continues to disappoint.

Here's the scenario where LSA comes into its own:

1) Mogas becomes much more available as the real price of a no-lead Avgas replacement hits home and the price differential becomes too much to ignore. The growing number of Rotax ethanol-tolerant engines is a factor here.

2) The FAA continues to drag its feet on 3rd class medical reform with no decision for the next few years.

3) The FAA doesn't back down on ADS-B requirements, forcing flight schools to really think hard about their training fleets.

4) The collapse of the Euro becomes a long-term phenomenon. As a result all those expensive Euro LSAs (and their Rotax engines) just (potentially) got 15-25% cheaper. On a personal note, I was *this close* to accepting a job in Ireland this December before the Euro collapse accelerated and which would have resulted in a severe pay cut.

5) With modern aircraft and lowered operating costs, the Sport License starts to look much better from outside the community. I wouldn't be surprised if Rotax started some sort of learn-to-fly program subsidy with their airframe partners to expand their market.

On a personal note, one of my ambitions is to instruct. I have a strong instructional background in my field and have a real love of it. I just might pursue the CFI-LSA rating if I can find the right venue.

The FAA could really help this along if they allowed some or all of the LSA training hours with a CFI-LSA instructor to count toward a PPL, but I know that's a long shot.

I think that ADS-B might really be the big factor here with the FAA raising the bar for operations in controlled airspace and encouraging casual pilots to stay out by segregating them to the LSA world, much as has been happening in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by ransfly View Post
    Hi JB,
    I am a SP flight instructor. I have had a private pilot ASEL for about 21 years, before I got the instructor rating. I have just recently started instructing at a local flying club that has an SLSA X-air. I currently have 2 students. I think that there are 2 major problems for a sport pilot instructor-1. Finding an SLSA aircraft to instruct in, and 2. Any student that wants to go further(i.e. Private), the solo hours will count, but the dual hours will not apply for a private ticket. John Weber
    Hey John, sent you a Private Message. I lost track of this thread, I know its been forever back when you replied.. Sorry
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by ransfly View Post
    Hi JB,
    I am a SP flight instructor. I have had a private pilot ASEL for about 21 years, before I got the instructor rating. I have just recently started instructing at a local flying club that has an SLSA X-air. I currently have 2 students. I think that there are 2 major problems for a sport pilot instructor-1. Finding an SLSA aircraft to instruct in, and 2. Any student that wants to go further(i.e. Private), the solo hours will count, but the dual hours will not apply for a private ticket. John Weber
    Hi John Weber, I am a student and live in Virginia (near Roanoke) and I want to get a SP ticket. I read above that not much activity on that front. And I agree that locally it seems that younger students are getting PPL. I already have about 50 hrs in a Cessna 150 and some in a Piper J-4 from a competent local CFI. I have not solo (ed). I am prepping for the SP written test and can probably pass it. I am having difficulty finding a S-LSA or one with a LODA such that I can get some add-on training with CFI and also get past the CheckRide with a DPE. Any ideas? FxFlyr Tommy

More on My Situation

Quote Originally Posted by fxflyr View Post
    Hi John Weber, I am a student and live in Virginia (near Roanoke) and I want to get a SP ticket. I read above that not much activity on that front. And I agree that locally it seems that younger students are getting PPL. I already have about 50 hrs in a Cessna 150 and some in a Piper J-4 from a competent local CFI. I have not solo (ed). I am prepping for the SP written test and can probably pass it. I am having difficulty finding a S-LSA or one with a LODA such that I can get some add-on training with CFI and also get past the CheckRide with a DPE. Any ideas? FxFlyr Tommy
    Let me add: just in this very thread there is mention of the single seat LSA practical exam. It follows from there that a CFI could grant me solo privileges with the same restrictions: no passengers, flight only in single seat (which is what I own: a single seat N-numbered E-LSA (grandfather rule year 2010)). Voila, it seems that I should proceed with the written exam post haste (since I am ready for it) and then work with my existing CFI to obtain solo privileges in the single seat E-LSA via the same logic and procedures that a DPE would administer the practical test (check ride via ground based exam having radio communication with me (the testee) and the DPI (the testor)). Ok I am seeking blow back on this reading of the rules. FxFlyr Tommy

Let me add: just in this very thread there is mention of the single seat LSA practical exam. It follows from there that a CFI could grant me solo privileges with the same restrictions: no passengers, flight only in single seat (which is what I own: a single seat N-numbered E-LSA (grandfather rule year 2010)). Voila, it seems that I should proceed with the written exam post haste (since I am ready for it) and then work with my existing CFI to obtain solo privileges in the single seat E-LSA via the same logic and procedures that a DPE would administer the practical test (check ride via ground based exam having radio communication with me (the testee) and the DPI (the testor)). Ok I am seeking blow back on this reading of the rules. FxFlyr Tommy
    As you see no one will chime in on this. The FAA might have spelled out in the PTS and the Regs on how to do training in a single seat, but not one CFI or instructor will acknowledge this, not one I have found. Its just not safe I tell you. This is what you will hear.

Now taking someone who has never flown anything at anytime, I could see this being a problem. This person should get some flight time in something and some instructions from a qualified instructor, doing both ground work and flying the airplane or flight control work.

I believe the biggest problem is this. Most CFI's or instructors believe once you are turned loose to solo you are ready to fly a 172 or something like this. With the training we are talking about here, this student is ready to fly something like a quicksilver MX aircraft. Nothing more. Get some time in that then step up to something with a tail wheel. Also being a light style airframe with the weight of an ultralight. Even if it has an N number, but something small. Fly that for a 100 hrs or so then move up to a little bigger airplane. All being single seat. Something like a mini-max or Fisher ect..

To me this is a perfect routine for this style of training and really good for the school doing this training. The student sticks around for hundreds of hours, flying different style of single seat aircraft. The student has others to share there aviation dreams with. The school does not even have to own the airplanes. Make the student provide thier own aircraft.

Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses. But this is how I would do it.

Tony

Hi Tommy,
    Another consideration if finances would allow it, would be to take a week or two and go to a Light Sport type school. I believe there is one in NC, look on Barnstormers.com, they train in a champ. First landings here in central Fl(Apopka) is another school that is very busy. Have you not done your solo due to not having a medical for the 150 or just not ready? I was just talking about this with a potential student yesterday, and I told him that I would not be comfortable signing him off to solo a single place unless I felt that he was VERY competent soloing the 2 seat trainer. Another consideration would be to sell the single place and buy an inexpensive two seater(if there is such a thing) if your CFI would be comfortable flying it. I was fortunate that my instructor for my CFI-Sport would fly in my Rans S-6 and the DPE would also fly in the Rans. Bottom line, I don't know that there is a simple, easy, inexpensive answer. John Weber