Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sport Flight Instructors

Researching this more I have found in the PP world this " Single seat checkride with instructor standing on the ground with radio in hand " has been done before. No reason it can not be done in the Sport Pilot world also. This was done in a two seat airplane but the airplane did not have enough payload to carry both a pilot and instructor. So the instructor stood on the ground and used a handheld. This was in a KR2.

Tony

A checkride is one thing, training a student is another, though I have heard of instructors signing a student off to solo their single seater, after the student had soloed the 2 place plane he was receiving dual in. I'm more interested in a BFR... a friend got his BFR in a single seat Quicksilver GT400, though some people questioned the legality, and I'll be interested in doing the same thing in my plane in a couple of years to avoid paying the rental fee for a 2 seater.

Dana

This is about the checkride not about the training. But remember if you go this route your certificate will be limited, meaning your will have restrictions on said certificate. Later you could take another check ride in a two seat and have this restriction removed. Myself I like this idea or going this route. It keeps the small flights schools busy and keeps the younger or newer pilots hanging around the training facility a little longer. Once you turn these people loose how many come back, if they do its months or even longer before they do. This type of training keeps them around a little longer. I am not saying this to milk money out of the student, its a training thing. You will still need the dual time but solo and check ride can be done in your own single seat airplane.

How I would do it if it was me and I owned a training facility. I would push any certificate like this, small bites. I am sure others will argue but I like the idea.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-10-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Sport pilot proficiency checks may be performed in a single-seat aircraft. The FAA believes it is appropriate for an instructor to perform a proficiency check for an additional category/class privilegeto a Sport Pilot Certificate or higher,in accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61.321, using a single-seat light-sport aircraft,providing the authorized instructor is an examiner. When an examiner conducts a proficiency check they are acting in the capacity of an authorized instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Sport pilot proficiency checks may be performed in a single-seat aircraft. The FAA believes it is appropriate for an instructor to perform a proficiency check for an additional category/class privilegeto a Sport Pilot Certificate or higher,in accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61.321, using a single-seat light-sport aircraft,providing the authorized instructor is an examiner. When an examiner conducts a proficiency check they are acting in the capacity of an authorized instructor
    What FAA document was this from?
    I think a flight review with the instructor on the ground is an interesting idea. On my last review, the instructor weight was 260 pounds. Can this be done for PP flight review, or just Sport Pilot? Can it be done in my two seater when the instructors weight exceeds the legal gross weight of the two seater? (often the case)

You can do your BFR solo.

Bill I found that in: FAA-S-8081-29 with changes 1,2 and 3.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by 67jwbruce View Post
    I rejoined EAA hoping to get some real answers about sport pilot instructors, but these forums seems to be getting minimal usage considering EAA boasts over 100,000 members.

Who here is knowledgeable concerning Private or Commercial pilots (without instrument rating) pursuing the sport pilot flight instructor rating??

Thanks
    JB
    JB

Welcome to the forum; there's lots of chaff here, just as there is on other forums, but there are seeds of information to be found also.

I don't kave any knowledge on your subject, but I am curious. Did you get an answer to your question?

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    JB

Welcome to the forum; there's lots of chaff here, just as there is on other forums, but there are seeds of information to be found also.

I don't kave any knowledge on your subject, but I am curious. Did you get an answer to your question?

BJC
    The info he needs is in this document.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...-s-8081-29.pdf

Backing up to John "ransfly" Weber's post on the first page, if one gets the SP-CFI only rating, it's important to let prospective students know what that means.

I'm a Sport Pilot by training,* but my CFI was a full alphabet one (Private, Instrument, Commercial, and probably Space Shuttle) so if I wanted to extend my permit to a Private Pilot all of it would count. Indeed, my CFI made sure my dual and cross country flights were of Private Pilot distances rather than the chip shot ones for that reason.

This is not true of "pure" SP-CFI's. I've always wondered how a student with several hundred hours that trained with a SP-CFI and his PP-CFI would burn the required dual instruction time. Yes, there's the hood, the communications, and the night flying, but everything up to that point is in the Sport Pilot syllabus. I guess they could take several long cross country flights and do some BFR stuff and demonstrate the required skills to fill in the logbook....but what a huge waste of time and money.

* The kind of flying (Daytime very, very VFR in uncontrolled airspace) in the kinds of aircraft (Champs and my own 7/8ths scale Nieuport 11 once it's done) I want to do didn't warrant the expense of a PPL. All the additional skills of night flying would just wither on the vine, for example, as I'd never use them.

Not to say that I haven't done spin training and some instrument work as well as dipped my toe into aerobatics, but that was for individual growth as a pilot.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.