Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Flight Instructors

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    I wouldn't want the responsibility, nor would I want to be involved in allowing the risk for someone without being able to affect any bad outcome. It has nothing to do with money. And I had that attitude way back when I was a new CFI -- it's MUCH worse in today's litigious society, in addition to the wondering how I would live with myself if something went wrong. There's also a limit to how well you can judge someone's performance remotely, compared to being right there.

If you want to get your CFI and offer this type of training, have at it, though.
    First: You do not allow someone to solo? Once someone is signed off to solo just how are you going to help if something goes wrong?

Second: What responsibility. Its only you and the student who know what is being done. Lets just say something does go wrong. Just how does this come back to anyone standing on the ground? You are standing on the ground looking up at an airplane and you are in trouble. Why not just get in your car and drive off.

By this comment you would think I said:
    I have never flown before and want to climb into a single seat airplane and do some training who wants to watch?

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-06-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Like I said the FAA offers it, but no one will do it. If the person taking a check ride needs the person giving the check ride to jump in and correct something or they will crash, something is wrong, especially in something as easy to fly as an ultralight.

Tony

First: You do not allow someone to solo? Once someone is signed off to solo just how are you going to help if something goes wrong?
    Letting someone that I have trained go solo in the same aircraft in which I have trained them is not the same as what you are proposing.

Talk to me again after you get your CFI and run through a number of students.

I'm done with this.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Letting someone that I have trained go solo in the same aircraft in which I have trained them is not the same as what you are proposing.

Talk to me again after you get your CFI and run through a number of students.

I'm done with this.
    Like I said the FAA offers this and no one will do it. If the man or woman training for SP can fly a Taylorcraft not a reason in the world they can not fly a mini-max. I have trained in a Ercoupe. My eab is a piece of cake to fly compared to the Ercoupe and the Ercoupe is simple to fly. But not a simple as my EAB.

Tony

P.S. This is not about me but about the SP program.

Once a student takes to the sky solo, are they not in essence flying a single seat?

Tony

So lets recap:
    The FAA established in 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) specific requirements to allow a practical test for a Sport Pilot Certificate only in a sport aircraft that has a single pilot seat

Never going to happen for this just is not safe for the student never having dual training in type.

I am amazed any Sport Pilot flies any single seat airplanes, just not safe I tell you.

The FAA offers it, but no one will do it. Says something for where aviation is going. Its amazing anyone ever took to the sky in a single seat anything.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-07-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    What I find interesting about SP, the FAA allows certain ways of training and not one CFI-SP will train that way. Example single seat training. The Practical test standards spell out how this is done. But no one is willing to do it.

.......Tony
    Try me. I am willing to consider single seat training. So will Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Try me. I am willing to consider single seat training. So will Buzz.
    Great to hear this. Who is Buzz? I looked and can not find him. I know I have seen that screen name.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-09-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Once a student takes to the sky solo, are they not in essence flying a single seat?

Tony
    True, but only if we are talking a about a 2-seat aircraft with dual controls. While it has long been established that single-seat airplanes have, at some point, to be dealt with by pilots new to the type, that's a different situation than putting a student pilot into a new aircraft type and soloing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
    True, but only if we are talking a about a 2-seat aircraft with dual controls. While it has long been established that single-seat airplanes have, at some point, to be dealt with by pilots new to the type, that's a different situation than putting a student pilot into a new aircraft type and soloing at the same time.
    The FAA wrote 61.45{f} so I guess they feel different about this then you do.