Thread: Canadian Reg vs American Reg

Canadian Reg vs American Reg

I'm a Canadian citizen and going to build an US experimental this winter. To register the plane in Canada, they want a pre-cover inspection and will have to fly the inspector down each time things get covered up. That will be a pain in the butt along with the plane being classified as high performance because of wing loading. The US registration process seems a lot easier, so my main question is. Is there any issues or downside keeping the plane N registered, and flying it all over Canada/US? I'll have to get my FAA license, but that's it from everything I'm reading.. Maybe Cuba won't like me, but I don't plane to ever visit that dump again.

Hmmm, why couldn't one get the US airworthy certificate, fly off the 40 hours, take it to Canada and just change the registration?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonB View Post
    I'm a Canadian citizen and going to build an US experimental this winter. To register the plane in Canada, they want a pre-cover inspection and will have to fly the inspector down each time things get covered up. That will be a pain in the butt along with the plane being classified as high performance because of wing loading. The US registration process seems a lot easier, so my main question is. Is there any issues or downside keeping the plane N registered, and flying it all over Canada/US? I'll have to get my FAA license, but that's it from everything I'm reading.. Maybe Cuba won't like me, but I don't plane to ever visit that dump again.
    Are you also a US citizen?

To register the plane in the US the owner or majority ownership has to be a citizen of the US. Perhaps you can sign over 51% of the airplane to me?

( I'll take good care of it, lol)

Banned
    As a fellow Canadian, I would strongly suggest you contact an EAA Canadian chapter close to you and also contact a close chapter of The Recreational Aircraft Association of Canada(RAAC) to receive authoritative info and answers for your concerns. If you are a member of COPA speak to them as well.

COPA has a good PDF on a Guide to Amateur-Builts

http://www.copanational.org/files/CO...teurBuilts.pdf

Canada (MD-RA) doesn't accept USA DAR's anymore for the inspections. I'd have to fly down a Canadian inspector before each pre-cover. I'd have to work with the builder so the pre-cover inspections would happen all at once (wings, fuselage, stabilator).

The only real drawback I see from N-reg the plane and flying it for the 100hours to import, is the tax (13%) will be on the appraised value of the plane. Doesn't matter if I've been taxed already when buying the parts. I am not a US citizen, but can reg the plane to the company for the time being..
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 10-23-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Fixed link.

Weighing the pros and cons and talking with MD-RA, (EAA Canadian chapters didn't get back to me), it looks like I'll be going Canadian register. I have to talk to Transport Canada, but I may be able to apply for a special flight permit to fly off the 25hours in Canada rather then the home base in USA where it will be build.

You mentioned the "builder". Do Canadian regs allow for a hired gun to build the airplane? Legally you can't pay a builder if it it going to be US registered. It is done all the time though. Don