Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to buy hangar building materials

Places to buy hangar building materials

Hello,

Does anyone know where myself and a buddy of mine can source materials to build either a 60x60 or 120x60 commercial hangar. We are looking to build our own forms and put the hangar together ourselves so we can actually make some money as a commercial venture. Are the hangar kits really almost 6 figures just for the metal and the door?

I don't know where you are located, but check out a company from Kentucky called Port-a-Grace, they make some pretty big steel tube frame buildings. They built one of my barns. If I was to do it again I would prefer I beam construction, but that is just my personal preference for ease of adding things later, the tube structure is plenty strong.

If you look at the current price of steel, the pricing of building kits will not surprise you.

I purchased an Erect-A-Tube kit. They are in Harvard, IL. Very high quality drawings and components. The trucks delivered every part needed by the steel erector crew that I hired to put it up.

The bifold door was almost 30% of the cost of the building. They are high value and also low volume. The pillars and truss that support the door have to carry ALL of the mass of the door when it is in the up position. And the design of the lift system, including the transmission, is critical to safety. I know of cases where a low-budget door had its lift system transmission fail and the door came down all at once, unrestrained. Could have killed someone. So look at that equipment very carefully.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know where myself and a buddy of mine can source materials to build either a 60x60 or 120x60 commercial hangar. We are looking to build our own forms and put the hangar together ourselves so we can actually make some money as a commercial venture. Are the hangar kits really almost 6 figures just for the metal and the door?
    For a commercial building, you first need to study the applicable building code for your area. Once you have a design, you can start looking for materials.

BJC

The codes in my area are interntiona building code 2009 ONLY, they may have updated to 2012 but I don't think so. I don't want to do a ton of research if the building materials are going to cause the project to be non profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    For a commercial building, you first need to study the applicable building code for your area. Once you have a design, you can start looking for materials.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I don't know where you are located, but check out a company from Kentucky called Port-a-Grace, they make some pretty big steel tube frame buildings. They built one of my barns. If I was to do it again I would prefer I beam construction, but that is just my personal preference for ease of adding things later, the tube structure is plenty strong.
    Thank you so much, I sent them a message so I will see what they say. The door does add some cost and complication but I just want to see if there is a cheaper source for materials otherwise I will have to figure something else out.

The building code for commercial buildings will not allow you to cheap out on materials. Airplane hangars have to meet stricter fire codes than some other types of buildings. And the plans that you take to the building inspector must have an engineer's stamp (PE) on them in order to be approved in most locations. You should base your business plan on other factors than cheaping out on materials.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    The door does add some cost and complication
    If you have room to the sides you can do a sliding door & extend the upper tracks out the sides. I have seen farm equipment sheds built that way with a full width door on one end.

If I cant keep the costs to a level where I can make money then I just cant do it. I will never cheap out on materials but I will cheap out on labor, if I have to build the thing myself and it takes 3 years (which the airport said they are ok with) is better than paying outrageous labor rates and being in debt for 15 years. BTW I am a PE, so as long as the building is a kit with some plans that includes snow and wind loads I would be able to stamp off on it for the local inspector. A solid metal building is not really combustible and I talked to the fire marshel and its really not too hard to meet code.

But I agree, never want to cheap out on materials or design.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The building code for commercial buildings will not allow you to cheap out on materials. Airplane hangars have to meet stricter fire codes than some other types of buildings. And the plans that you take to the building inspector must have an engineer's stamp (PE) on them in order to be approved in most locations. You should base your business plan on other factors than cheaping out on materials.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Call Chris Root at R & M Steel. They specialize in hangar construction and can source a door for you as a part of the quoting process. I have just gone through the bidding process with a number of firms on a hangar construction project. Hopefully I can save you some comparison-shopping time.

http://rmsteel.com
    208-454-1800

ReiffL