Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADS-B

Anyone who says there is no difference in the display between ADS-B and XM obviously hasn't used them. There is no comparison !

I used to use XM on about 2-3 days per week for about 10 years in the southeast year round. I have, for the past 10 months, used an ipad/Foreflight and the Strattus 2 ads-b. The only significant difference I've found is that the update rate of the radar display, at times has been as long as 40 minutes and usually is about 5-10 minutes whereas XM was consistently 6 minutes. The inconsistency is just not acceptable. It needs to be updated as quickly as possible.

There is a fairly balanced review of the 3 different sources for inflight weather data at: http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/09/t...alink-weather/

Below is an image of XM, Regional FIS-B and CONUS FIS-B Nexrad from the article:
    Name:  xm-v-adsb.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  74.7 KB

For my purposes, FIS-B provides the information I need for my type of flying. Others may want or need something different.

Quote Originally Posted by S3flyer View Post

For my purposes, FIS-B provides the information I need for my type of flying. Others may want or need something different.
    I concur. It's certainly better than what I had previously. Like most things in life, you just need to understand it's limits and shortcomings.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I am using Garmin Pilot using the Garmin GDL39. Do any of the other apps have any better resolution than the Garmin or they all the same?