Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmets...... Helicopter pilots use them, why not Fixed Wing?

I think that Ron nailed it. Gen Av airplanes are sold as being safer than automobiles. So "normal" pilots see no need for additional personal safety equipment, and statistically, the cost benefit trade-off supports that.

Those pilots who fly in higher hazard environments wear more safety gear. Acro airplanes break and you can not use your parachute if you hit your head and go night-night during the failure or on the way out of the airplane. EMS helicopter pilots go flying in crappy weather into the stupid locations that folks get themselves hurt in. Ag pilots spend lots of time moving fast around fixed objects that their farm friends tend to not mark well, etc.

If you fly an air vehicle with an engine that has statistically low mean time between failures, you likely should wear both a helmet and a parachute unless you never get high enough to use a parachute.

Fly safe,

Wes-who wears a helmet and nomex gloves when flying inverted well below pattern altitude
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I think that Ron nailed it. Gen Av airplanes are sold as being safer than automobiles. So "normal" pilots see no need for additional personal safety equipment, and statistically, the cost benefit trade-off supports that.

Those pilots who fly in higher hazard environments wear more safety gear. Acro airplanes break and you can not use your parachute if you hit your head and go night-night during the failure or on the way out of the airplane. EMS helicopter pilots go flying in crappy weather into the stupid locations that folks get themselves hurt in. Ag pilots spend lots of time moving fast around fixed objects that their farm friends tend to not mark well, etc.

If you fly an air vehicle with an engine that has statistically low mean time between failures, you likely should wear both a helmet and a parachute unless you never get high enough to use a parachute.

Fly safe,

Wes-who wears a helmet and nomex gloves when flying inverted well below pattern altitude
    N78PS

But this is not about GA type of aircraft. This is about this type of aircraft. Small EAB type airplanes.

Name:  261.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  79.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, the point is that you apply the same principles that I outlined. If you fly behind an engine that has a shorter MTBF, or fly a lot below the commonly accepted pattern altitude above forrest, swamps, or lakes, etc., you should factor that info into your calculation of the personal safety equipment you need to fly with. Those who fly E-AB's with better statistics, such as the RV family, and who have completed their test time, need less personal safety equipment.

The best practice is to take care of your equipment so it never fails, and don't crash.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Well, the point is that you apply the same principles that I outlined. If you fly behind an engine that has a shorter MTBF, or fly a lot below the commonly accepted pattern altitude above forrest, swamps, or lakes, etc., you should factor that info into your calculation of the personal safety equipment you need to fly with. Those who fly E-AB's with better statistics, such as the RV family, and who have completed their test time, need less personal safety equipment.

The best practice is to take care of your equipment so it never fails, and don't crash.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Wes I agree. Why I spare no expense when it comes to repairs.

To those who are in the know about crashes and such. Can a body suit like I posted, help in the case of a crash in a small EAB or even an ultralight. From some other posts, some of these crashes have caused impalement from such things as control sticks and such. Motor cross riders use them just for this reason. I wonder if those who have died from such crashes in these small aircraft might have had a better chance wearing something like these armor suits?

Tony

The only way to achieve perfect safety in an activity like aviation is to not engage in that activity. As someone who has made 1680 skydives and spent my entire adult life flying, my risk reward calculation is very different than yours. I would not bother with the type of gear that you are talking about. Don't crash. If you have to crash, keep the airplane flying, and keep pointing it between the hard objects until all motion and crunching noise stops. Crawl out and call 911. Works for me and my bad friends who have been there.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I can't find a full reference on it right now but Sean Tucker broke his neck flying aerobatics years ago. I believe he blamed it in part on wearing a helmet because of the weight of it. In the desktop picture from back in August you can see him only wearing a headset in the Challenger.

Just something to consider.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I guess the motor cross rider could do the same thing. Stay on the trail and if you do crash point it between the hard stuff. In these little airplanes a branch sticking up in the wrong spot can come right through these airplanes. Just me but I want the same protection the guy blasting through the woods uses when blasting through on two wheels.

Safety in a GA style airplane comes with the airframe. Safety in a small EAB comes from what one is wearing, not a lot between you and what is outside. Even a bird strike in something like these small EAB's will be different then say a 172. My head takes up all the inside of my windshield. If a bird comes through it I am getting hit in the head, no way around it, or in the chest.

You say put it between the hard stuff.

I had a friend who's name I will not mention here. He losses an engine on climb out. He ended up out in the grass on the end of the runway. Hit nothing but mother earth. Lived a short time after the crash, from what I was told. Could one of these suits of armor helped him. No idea. But if I am in that spot I would like a little extra protection.

I am bored and needed some aviation talk. What better subject then safety equipment. The Good, bad and ugly side of it. A tough subject to talk about though.

That airplane my friend was in was a Mini-Max.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I can't find a full reference on it right now but Sean Tucker broke his neck flying aerobatics years ago. I believe he blamed it in part on wearing a helmet because of the weight of it. In the desktop picture from back in August you can see him only wearing a headset in the Challenger.

Just something to consider.
    Again I am speaking of low and slow airplanes. Mini-max products, Legal Eagle, Fisher Products, Belite, airplanes of this style and construction. No I G's in any of these airframes.

Tony I have an old football helmet that you can have. Would be perfect match for your plane, already has a stripe painted on it.

Banned
    This is all about personal choices, preferences and tolerance to risk. If you believe it's necessary and you've determined your risk/reward is on the low side then wear your helmet(as you do from the pic) and buy the body armour. Case closed, no one will think the worse or better of you. Just do it!