Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets...... Helicopter pilots use them, why not Fixed Wing?

Helmets...... Helicopter pilots use them, why not Fixed Wing?

Just as the title says. Why not fixed wing? Some say its of no help in case of a crash. So why does a helicopter pilot use one then?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Just as the title says. Why not fixed wing? Some say its of no help in case of a crash. So why does a helicopter pilot use one then?
    The helicopter pilots I see around here don't wear helmets, except for the ones the ones flying Army birds.

Otherwise, it might be the preference of ex-military pilots or the desire for better passive noise attenuation. Or even a company/insurance requirement in some cases.

I think they probably improve one's chances in an accident, in ANY sort of vehicle. But it's like a parachute; you could lug one around a very long time before you actually need one (and if you do, little else will substitute....). Knew a guy who had a Honda accident and got himself badly concussed. Honda *car*, that is. Yet he didn't switch to wearing a helmet afterwards.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 10-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Banned
    Please Tony, don't give the feds any new make work ideas. It's bad enough that they can't rap their heads around the notion that building an airplane in your hanger is indeed an aeronautical activity.

Ssshhhh......they follow this forum.

I was just asking. I see helicopter pilots wearing helmets. Just wondered why fixed wing did not. I never have seen fixed wing besides military use a helmet.

As to the Fed's and rules. We should not need someone to tell us to be safe or how to watch our butts. If you believe its safe how you do it, and are not hurting anyone, do it. Helmets should be a personal decision and not something big brother needs to make a law over.

In my little airplane I would like to even have some body armor. In a bigger airplane you have something around you. In some of these little EAB's not much to protect one from getting impaled if something really bad happened.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FccRMwodq3kAHg

Name:  me flying 3.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  47.6 KB

Tony

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Most all ag pilots wear helmets. Many airshow acro performers wear helmets. Lots of warbird pilots wear helmets (fighters/trainers). Racer pilots typically wear helmets too.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

For 27 bucks I thought about ordering one of these for body protection when flying open cockpit Ultralight style aircraft.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360527881792...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tony

I always wore one flying my PPG and ultralights, where there was nothing between my head and the ground if something bad happened. I'll wear one at least for the first few flights of my new (to me) biplane, in part at least because I have no other radio headset. Afterwards, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I always wore one flying my PPG and ultralights, where there was nothing between my head and the ground if something bad happened. I'll wear one at least for the first few flights of my new (to me) biplane, in part at least because I have no other radio headset. Afterwards, we'll see.
    That is why I wear mine more then any other reason. This equipment was not cheap. I sold my open air ultralight and still had this equipment. I thought about buying a headset but like this helmet.

Dana did you check out that body armor. I like this. Might keep one from getting impaled by the control stick in a crash or a from a branch or something else. I have never wore one of these so have no idea if you can move much while wearing one. But it seems to me a biker needs to be able to move more then I do setting in my airplane. I also believe these are lite weight too.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The helicopter pilots I see around here don't wear helmets, except for the ones the ones flying Army birds.
    Ron Wanttaja
    I flew helicopters for over 30 years in both law enforcement and medevac and always worn one for crash protection. So did everyone else that I came across in the fields. The only people I don't see wearing them are the one's that need it the most, training birds. I often think about having one in my RV for bird strikes, but have not brought myself to that point yet.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    ...did you check out that body armor. I like this. Might keep one from getting impaled by the control stick in a crash or a from a branch or something else. I have never wore one of these so have no idea if you can move much while wearing one. But it seems to me a biker needs to be able to move more then I do setting in my airplane. I also believe these are lite weight too.

Tony
    You should check this out. Much better armour protection, lightweight and can definitely move well in it:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...xU1uDwLHwjk_Kt