Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Known Proposals for Advanced and Unlimited Published by CIVA

Quote Originally Posted by flyrite View Post
    ....perspective on the issue.
    yeah, I've managed to stay out of that one, so I'll just offer that my first two years in Advanced, which included the first year I made the Advanced team, were in a Christen Eagle that, while it had a 540 motor, had bone stock ailerons. I couldn't get a full roll on a vertical in before a humpty. S-1's and S2-C's easily eclipsed me in aircraft performance. I didn't often lose to them. Competition success is a result of well-designed practice and coaching, and mental focus during the 4 minutes in the box.

" S-1's and S2-C's easily eclipsed me in aircraft performance. I didn't often lose to them. Competition success is a result of well-designed practice and coaching, and mental focus during the 4 minutes in the box."

We should all carve that on the hangar wall and look at it before each flight.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gifford View Post
    yeah, I've managed to stay out of that one, so I'll just offer that my first two years in Advanced, which included the first year I made the Advanced team, were in a Christen Eagle that, while it had a 540 motor, had bone stock ailerons. I couldn't get a full roll on a vertical in before a humpty. S-1's and S2-C's easily eclipsed me in aircraft performance.
    I'm surprised to hear you say this. I've seen video of your 540 Eagle and it definitely rolls as fast as my factory S-1S. With a 540, I would expect it to perform similar to an S-2B with only slightly less roll rate than the B, but with better acceleration and penetration due to the power, lighter weight and a cleaner airframe than the S-2B. The B rolls and performs a little better than a stock 180 hp S-1S.

Wink

I truly wouldn't want to hijack this thread by addressing Craig's response to the issue of the "Advanced Lifer's" flying the unlimited machines year after year in the category on this thread....So please Craig join in the unfair thread & tell how being able to start at 1300' as you do in the video is not an extreme advantage over your fellow competitors flying the 4 cyl small wing area's!

Thanks
    Tony
    Last edited by flyrite; 11-07-2014 at 07:52 AM.

This afternoon I made a couple runs through Advanced sequence 'A' in cool, 60 degree, dry air. As suspected it is a significant altitude loser in my stock 180 hp S-1S - especially Fig. 3 with the 1-1/2 roll on the 45 downline. This figure requires pulling a significant amount of power off to get the rolls done. The full roll down on Fig. 2 also requires pulling some power off so you're not blasting into Fig. 3 with excessive energy, which will make it impossible to draw an equal length line after the snap while retaining enough energy to fly the laydown Humpty round as it closes. Anytime power needs to be pulled off, you're throwing away altitude. I sure can't afford to throw altitude away. It would be next to impossible to retain enough energy on top of the Fig. 6 P-loop on top to make this round. Worse is it's into the wind over the top. Getting enough speed on the vertical line after the 1-1/4 spin to even come close to flying Figure 6 passably will be another altitude loser. Add in hot weather and there's going to be an altitude break. Besides the energy issues, 'A' is really not a very challenging sequence from a mental or technical standpoint.

I vote for Advanced sequence 'C'. It's more interesting, a little more challenging, yet has fewer altitude/energy issues for the 4-bangers, IMO.
    Last edited by RetroAcro; 11-07-2014 at 05:44 PM.

I am at the CIVA meeting in Wroclaw, Poland. In Advanced it was sequence A that was selected.

Mike

Advanced sequence will be A. Unlimited will be D.

Mike Heuer

I regret the choice of this Advanced sequence. I've now flown this sequence a few times, and I'll either be busting the top of the box on Figure 1 by a decent margin (in a tiny Pitts S-1) or taking an altitude break - even in cool weather. It's a good monoplane sequence, though. ;-)

Sad

Flew it for the first time today.....I can take solace in that I got till next year to practice away the disadvantage given to the unlimited machine's......IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!

I just need to embrace the underdog mentality, If I see it in that light I don't feel as bad about being at a disadvantage, Although I think this is the best of the bad option's that were offered.

Tony
    Last edited by flyrite; 11-10-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Tony, I think it'll be OK for you with the roll rate of the 1D. You'll just need a lot of smash to make the P-loop round. I don't think it's a bad sequence for you.