Thread: Young eagle accident

Young eagle accident

Sadly this past Sat at Lancaster, N Y, a pilot in a 172 flying a 14 year old Y E had a fatal midair with a "SEARAY" , of which the pilot and 9 year old girl survived the forced landing.

Young Eagles has a very good record, ,of 1 million flights with 1.9 million passengers and 45,000 pilots this is our 2nd fatal.

Banned
    Read about this on the weekend, so very sad and tragic.

Bill, I know you mean well, but the parents of the young boy killed will not be comforted by your YE fatal stats. One is too many!!

I agree, the program's overall safety record is incredibly good. However, as someone pointed out on another forum, this is the third fatal accident associated with Young Eagle flights. So unfortunate.

Floats, nothing in my post is meant to tell any parent that they should not feel grief for their loss, and no where did I write that.. As a matter of fact, I'd guess the parents aren't likely to be reading this forum.
    I am a parent also,not just a pilot and the some of the most careful flying that I have ever done is when carrying someone's wife or child.
    Obviously we try to have a 100 % safe record, but we also need to measure how we are doing.
    Marty , not a major point but the article says 2 fatalites.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 10-03-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Floats, nothing in my post is meant to tell any parent that they should not feel grief for their loss, and no where did I write that.. As a matter of fact, I'd guess the parents aren't likely to be reading this forum.
    Agreed and of course you didn't write that. However, you did tie(purposely or inadvertently) YE fatal stats to the accident by the mere writing of them. Anyone reading your post could infer or nuance that your stats could be a defense or justification of an attempt to lessen the blame or impact attached to a fault, offense or event. Inference Bill, inference.

As for the parents not reading this Forum, you're probably correct but they or any of their family or friends don't have to read this Forum. Bill, I've got a newsflash for you: Anything you've ever writen here becomes part of the worldwide results of any search. Go ahead, google "young eagles accident at Lancaster, NY". Now go to page 2 and scroll down. Surprise, surprise! What do you think the family or friends might infer...or their lawyer.

Sounds like it was mostly my fault which is a bit of a stretch since I wasn't there. don't even know where Lancaster, N Y is.
    And anything write on this or other forum is not secret, I even use my name, right or wrong
    Do you dislike or disapprove of the Y E program

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Marty , not a major point but the article says 2 fatalites.
    That's what I thought until someone listed all 3.

Think it's a great program, has an excellent safety record and hopefully it will continue forward.