Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geneva navcom radio

Geneva navcom radio

Is anyone familiar with a Geneva GA-100 nav/com radio?

Who made it, is service still available?

Thanks

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dewi8095 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with a Geneva GA-100 nav/com radio?

Who made it, is service still available?
    I'g guessing you mean Genave GA-100 (autocorrect must be bustin' your chops)

If so, it was made by:

General Aviation Electronics of Indianapolis, IN.

Not available, don't think they meet the frequency tolerance which means they have been obsolete since the '90's.

Geneva or Genave, doesn't much matter. I tried it both ways on Google and couldn't find anything. General Aviation Electronics may be a better approach.

Thanks for the response.

Don

Go here: http://www.genave.com/manuals/av/alp...int-manual.pdf for a complete Genave Alpha-100 maintenance manual. The frequency specification for the crystals installed in the Alpha 100 meet the latest + or - 0.003% FCC tolerance requirements, so the radio is still legal to use in an aircraft. But, it's really old technology.

Thanks, dusterpilot. Good information. The illustration of the A-100 in the manual looks much older than the one I was asking about. I have since found that the one I was asking about has 720 channels, probably dating from the late 1990s. It has a VOR indicator as part of the unit and digital frequency read out. I mainly wanted to confirm that it is a legal, 720 channel radio.

Don

That sounds like the A-300, but it is only 360 channels and would therefore NOT be legal. There might have been a mod to the 300 to double the channels or it could be a different model altogether. See the A-300 at http://www.genave.com/manuals/av/alp...int-manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    ...only 360 channels and would therefore NOT be legal...
    i'm confused. a single channel radio is legal. gotta meet spec for transmission, but number of channels is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    i'm confused. a single channel radio is legal. gotta meet spec for transmission, but number of channels is optional.
    FAA AC90-50D "strongly advises" the use of 760 channel radios to take full advantage of ATC services, but doesn't require 760 channels.

The FCC, however, says, "The radios listed below are not acceptable for use in aircraft after January 1, 1997. You may continue to use your aircraft radio so long as it does not appear on the list below." Under General Aviation Electronics on the list are "ALPHA/300" and "ALPHA/360."
    Bill

It's not actually the number of channels, but the bandwidth (and other things) of the transmission. A 360 channel radio, or one with two channels, that meets the FCC specs for transmitting in the aviation band is just fine. However, typical aviation 360 channel radios don't meet those specs, while typical 720 channel radios do meet them. Channel spacing and other specs are the real key, and you can't fit 720 channels into the spectrum without the narrow channels found in the newer radios.

Hope this helps.

Larry N.

Thanks to all responders. It was not a question about using a 360 channel radio, but rather about who made Genave radios and whether or not service on them was available. The mfg has been named, and I am sure it is not the Alpha 100, 300, or 360. Doesn't matter at this point. I would replace it if the airplane is bought. I appreciate the replies.

Don