Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey For Student Research

Survey For Student Research

Hi everyone I'm a design student and for my senior thesis project I'm designing an super lightweight helmet for GA pilots. So I wanted to know how many of you wear helmets when flying. If not what would make you wear one?

I wear a helmet when flying my ultralight and my ppg. I don't wear one for flying GA aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I wear a helmet when flying my ultralight and my ppg. I don't wear one for flying GA aircraft.
    What helmet do you wear for PPG. If you had to wear one for GA what would you like to see in the design? i/e comfort, looks, cool functions?

I wear the David Clark one when flying experimentals because it is light and comfortable. I don't wear one in a normal gen av airplane like my Bonanza, The big heavy military types aren't comfortable to me.

My LSA is very open. Noise is a problem for hearing and transmitting. I would like one that is light, strong and quiet.

I don't have a helmet, but would like one. There two main reasons that I have not yet bought one: 1. cost, they are expensive; and 2. I have yet to see one that would accommodate my noise cancelling headsets which means I would have to choose a helmet with its own headset incorporated in it.

My preference would be a lightweight helmet with full-face, tinted visor, low cost (under $150), and one that would allow use of the headsets I have (Lightspeed XL 20s).

Quote Originally Posted by scozzd View Post
    What helmet do you wear for PPG. If you had to wear one for GA what would you like to see in the design? i/e comfort, looks, cool functions?
    For PPG I wear a light BMX bicycle helmet that I added hearing protection (industrial ear muffs) to. My reasoning is that PPG speeds are similar to bicycles and the impact types would also be similar. For summer, I remove the earmuffs and use foam ear plugs/

For the ultralight I use a Comtronics helmet with built in headset.

I can't see a helmet as being necessary in a GA aircraft (except for flight testing) for the same reason that I don't wear one when driving my car.

Most of my flying is in the heat here in AZ. This last summer I started messing around with ways to keep me cool while flying in 115 degree temps in the middle of the afternoon in my "greenhouse" of a cockpit. I came up with ice packs wrapped around my noggin...using a baseball hat.

If you want to get my attention, design something that can be plugged into an aux power port that will draw heat away from my head while providing a useful way to wear a headset of my choosing (both in-ear and standard cupped headsets), and doesn't interfere with headroom significantly (headroom in my plane is at a premium as well).

In other words...it needs to do something more than just sit on my head as "protection".

I wear an HJC motorcycle helmet when I fly my Pietenpol Air Camper. The HJC has already prevented one head injury when I experienced an engine failure in a previous homebuilt. I like the full-face protection; I don't like how heavy and bulky it is. A flight helmet doesn't need to be beefy enough to meet the DOT standard, IMHO -- just strong enough to protect your head if it gets slammed into the instrument panel.

If I'm doing something that I feel I need a helmet for I will be wearing a Simpson full face racing helmet. I have seen cheaper "off the shelf" motorcycle & bicycle type helmets bust wide open.