Thread: oil mess inverted

oil mess inverted

Recently, I have been getting an unusual amount of oil out my breather. I took off the breather and washed it out in solvent real good. I can get a good suction seal with it inverted, but the problem remains. I normally do normal gentleman type flying +4 to -2 G with no change from before I noticed the problem. My oil pressure stays good when going + to - and back, so I didn't think that it would be those balls/valve seat. Could it be, or any ideas?
    Thanks,
    oilly tailwheel...larry

It would help to know the type of aircraft and whether you are running a Christen system or some other type.

With a Christen system, the first question is the age of the "slobber pot" Oil Separator tank. The tank has a ball valve in it too. The older ones did not have stainless steel balls, so they corrode and stop sealing well. If you have a newer tank, you may have crud on the internal ball valve that is preventing it from sealing well. Unmounting the tank and flushing it out might take care of that problem.

The installation and some maintenance info for the Christen system is out on the web.

Hope this helps.

Wes
    N78PS

Thanks Wes, It is an older Christen system. The ball appeared not to be stainless, and it is from 76 time frame. After I cleaned it, I was able to get good vacuum as per the manual. I also saw a less than shinny ball. Perhaps it is corroded and doesn't seal tight 100% of the time... Other than cutting the canister and replacing the ball, do you see any other options?

thanks,

larry

Check your overflow vent tube for restrictions.
    My vent line on the 'bipe goes to the tail. When an industrious dirt dobber filled the end with mud I had oil coming out everywhere...

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I did do that, there had been some muck that I cleaned out prior to it leaking as bad now. I am using about the same amount of oil ( going in the engine) so perhaps the muck metered the outflow of oil differently ?

I regret that I have to tell you that you can not open the tank to replace the ball. Aviat is happy to sell you new balls for the oil valve on the firewall, but the tank is a sealed unit. So you discard the old tank and buy a new one. Aircraft Spruce has sold me one. As airplane parts go, the tank is not super expensive. The new tanks have a stainless steel ball in them and you will never replace it again while you own the airplane.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

P.S. If your system is that old, I suggest that you look at the balls in the firewall oil valve. They are likely corroded also. Inexpensive to replace.