Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a Hanger

Moving a Hanger

The airport, where I have my hanger, is closing after a long fight. I'm checking with metal building companies to see about moving the hanger. There are several more people that will need this, as well. I'm just checking to see if anyone has a better suggestion. I'm trying to find another airport to move the hanger to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chick

By the time you disassemble this building then pay to move it, then have it put back together, it might be cheaper to sell the building, let someone else hassle with removing it, then you buy a new building. Just a thought.

Just a thought and I could be wrong, it might be cheaper to move it. But I would check all avenues before I just moved the building.

By the way, what happened to the airfield? City take it or did it get turned back into land for crops? We lost a couple strips close by me from being reverted back to farm land.

Tony

The only hangar I know of that's easy to move is the Port-A-Port T-hangar. Just jack it up and install wheels in the provided mount, connect a hitch and drive away. Otherwise has to be disassembled in reverse order of assembly with everything marked if it's going to be reassembled.

Sorry to hear about the airfield.

You should probably plan on recycling the sheet metal and reskinning with new. If the steel structure is bolt together, it should be fairly easy to relocate that portion of it. After you construct a new foundation, purchase new skin, and pay the cost of labor to disassemble, move, and reassemble it, you might be better off to sell it for salvage and construct an entirely new hangar. That's a tough situation.

Thanks for the help. I'm finding out that you all may be right. It is a very nice hanger. It is far better than I can hope to afford now. I was hoping to find a way to keep it. I don't think keeping it is in the cards. My little kite is very open; but, because I live in Atlanta, is loaded with electronics. They don't care for being in the weather. Therefore a hanger is mandatory. Hanger rent around here is ridiculous. I will keep working the problem. I truly appreciate the help. Any other ideas are welcome. Chick

Having put up a hangar, I can tell you that if you check on the value of the steel "bones", you will be stunned at the $$ that they are worth. Steel prices have done nothing but go up. So if you are thinking of throwing your old building away, please throw it in my direction.

Question - Do you have the original plans for your building? If you do, they have an engineer's stamp on them and they should still be good at the building inspector's office for putting the building up again at a new location.

Taking the skins off an existing steel building is monkey work. Easy to do. The structural steel is just bolted together like a big erector set. You have to think about which parts to take off in what order, but it is also not difficult given that you have a crane on hand.

And if you have a bifold door, that is likely 25% of the value of the building right there. Don't throw that away.

Before you think about just abandoning your existing hangar, call Erect-A-Tube for a quote on a new building. You might like the cost of relocating what you have after you get the quote.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I have been pricing hangars. They are very expensive. My hangar is welded together out of fairly heavy steel. It is so much better than anything I'm finding that I would rather spend the money to move it instead of buying a new one. I have found a couple of companies that "might" be interested. I am forwarding photos and measurements before they send someone out. The good news is, this is keeping me too busy to mourn the loss of the airport. Thanks, again, for all of your help. Chick

One may wonder, if the airport closes, could the hangar be sold where it's at? What's planned for the airport grounds once it shuts down? If it's the type of deal where you don't own the land under the hangar it would cut into your sale options.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    One may wonder, if the airport closes, could the hangar be sold where it's at? What's planned for the airport grounds once it shuts down? If it's the type of deal where you don't own the land under the hangar it would cut into your sale options.
    I don't own the land, just the hangar. The airport is being turned into a subdivision. I have at most 2.5 months to clear everything off. There are property owners adjacent to the airport that had access rights to the airport. Somehow, they don't anymore. It's been tied up in court and zoning fights for a couple of years. We tried to keep the old airport; but, we lost.

That is a bummer. I would take every scrap worth anything, even if it's just for salvage.