Thread: Why Didn't I Think of This? Insanity Squared!!

Banned

Why Didn't I Think of This? Insanity Squared!!

I always look forward to receiving the EAA E-Hotline in my inbox. It usually contains interesting and diverse features on what's going on in the aviation world.

In yesterday's edition I was drawn to the headline "EAAer Launches WingBoard Project" and then read the blurb: "Imagine being towed through the air behind an airplane, like a wakeboarder or water skier being towed by a ski boat." What the @#&*!!! Imagine indeed! If it was April 1st, I could understand the joke, say ha-ha-ha, you got me , but it wasn't. I won't go into details, you can all read the article for yourselves. Oh, the horror!

This is the most insane idea since Icarus flew too close to the sun. If it actually comes to fruition, the FAA and every other aviation regulatory body in the world will outlaw them before you can say, "lawyer up."

Can you imagine the warning labels that will have to be pasted on this thing for all the stupid people to read. I hold no animosity towards stupid people but in this particular case I say remove the warning labels and let nature take care of the problem.

The guy who is developing this thing is surprisingly not a lunatic. He's got some major bonafides and smarts. Which begs the question, why and how did he come up with this thing and why does he think it's cool and viable? Just another example of bright, talented people wasting their talents on nonsense? Or did he have this "eureka moment" just after falling badly on his head?

And more importantly, why has EAA given this guy and his project free publicity, promotion and attention? Because he's a former Young Eagle?; he's a Lifetime Member?; he was the subject of a recent story about flying with Sean Tucker?; he's the president of an EAA chapter? EAA is practically gushing over this guy. I say shame on you EAA! Your irresponsible journalism has done nothing but lend credibility and legitimacy to this witless, insanity squared venture. I would strongly suggest in the future that you be far more judicious in what you print as newsworthy under your good name. Your reputation is at stake.

Float, I didn't even bother reading the whole story I thought it was so ridiculous. And you make some excellent points to EAA.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org