Thread: Chinese Instruments ?

Chinese Instruments ?

Has anybody had any kind of luck with the Chinese instruments? I just got a SkySports airspeed indicator from Aircraft Spruce and opened it up - and its Chinese ! I think I will send it back as I have never heard of this brand and no one seems to have any information on if its reliable or not? I don't want to waste my money on something that is not trustworthy or reliable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The FAA is asking for a report on specific airspeeds so I need something that is somewhat reliable and trustworthy. What I have now is not working properly and what I ordered seems to not be worthwhile? There wasn't one review on the internet on this SkySports airspeed indicator and no information on Aircraft Spruces web site or catalog.

The thing about Chinese flight instruments is that an hour after flying one wants to go right back up in the air.

Seriously, it should have a paper in the box showing calibration information from the factory.

From there you'll need to re-check it on the aircraft itself. The most accurate airspeed indicator in the world is only as good as the pitot tube/static port installation.

Btw, why did you just randomly pick out an instrument on the AS website without doing the research beforehand?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    The thing about Chinese flight instruments is that an hour after flying one wants to go right back up in the air.

Seriously, it should have a paper in the box showing calibration information from the factory.

From there you'll need to re-check it on the aircraft itself. The most accurate airspeed indicator in the world is only as good as the pitot tube/static port installation.

Btw, why did you just randomly pick out an instrument on the AS website without doing the research beforehand?

I did try to research this and found nothing about it other than the limited info in the catalog. Since there was no info on where it was made I decided to take a chance. Its not an easy task to replace an instrument so I want one that I don't have to remove after one fight. I take it that no one has ever used this brand of instrument since there are no reviews and no complaints.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You admit you did try to do research and found nothing. All the more reason not to buy the thing but you still went ahead in spite of this. I suspect the probable low price drove you.

Instrument returned

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You admit you did try to do research and found nothing. All the more reason not to buy the thing but you still went ahead in spite of this. I suspect the probable low price drove you.
    I am returning the Chinese instrument today and purchased a UMA instrument for only a little more $ - Yes - since there was little to no information on this instrument I did order it and didn't use it - not worth the trouble for $20 difference. UMA - I can call them up - here in the USA - they at least have some kind of warranty - and maybe if needed years from now - the instrument could be repaired. Yes price is a factor - how much is a persons time worth just to remove and replace an instrument buried in the instrument panel ?

Thanks to Mike for his posting regarding "Chinese Instruments". Aircraft Spruce has offered the Skysports line of instruments for several years and have had very few reports of any problems with them. Skysports instruments are manufactured in China, just as are the popular Falcon line of instruments which we also carry. Both of these brands of imported instruments carry factory warranties which can be handled through Aircraft Spruce should there be any issue. We also carry many brands of instruments which are manufactured in the U.S. including UMA, Mitchell, Westberg, United, etc.

Aircraft Spruce
    Customer Service Dept.
    info@aircraftspruce.com

I've never heard anything bad about Falcon instruments, so I bought them for my aircraft. One could tell from the style of the inspection stickers and the font it was ChiCom made.

A "made in China" sticker doesn't scare me, as quality is a function of factory oversight. Some stuff from China is terrible; then again, some domestic stuff isn't great either.

But steam gauge technology and manufacturing isn't rocket science. We've known how to make them for aircraft for a hundred years.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have the unconfirmed feeling that most analog gages are made in China even though they are sold by American companies.
    I have a Falcon vacuum attitude indicator with 700 hrs on it and no issues...so far.