Thread: Fast Rotax 912

Fast Rotax 912

Bored and my mind has been wandering. What is the fastest aircraft out there, available to build, that uses the Rotax 912. Not worried about it being light sport, just want something fast and not a thirsty bugger. Currently have a 172 and a RANS S-7 which are both 100 mph planes. Recently flew a Tailwind, while fast is was nearly claustrophobic ans I passed on it.

The non LSA version of the Pipistrel Virus Sw can hit 140-147 knots-I believe. Although that may be to small for you as well

WOW, Thanks for that reminder. I had forgotten about the Pipistrel series of planes. I think one of the reasons I had forgotten/scratched it off my list was due to the wing span. I should have added that I want to be able to fly this plane out of my strip in northern MN. I live in the boonies, literally. I am inside a State Forrest but have about 1800' of strip but the width is limited in one area. I will have to remeasure but thinking it is 50-60' max. I used to fly a modified Champ into/out of it and now fly my RANS S7. Both of these are more in the 'Bush plane' catagory hence the wish to find something I can do some longer cross country flights. Also own a 172 that I have flown all over the US but looking for something more efficient and faster.
    I will have to revisit Pipistrel, I did give them another quick glance when at Oshkosh but they may have been out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    WOW, Thanks for that reminder. I had forgotten about the Pipistrel series of planes. I think one of the reasons I had forgotten/scratched it off my list was due to the wing span. I should have added that I want to be able to fly this plane out of my strip in northern MN. I live in the boonies, literally. I am inside a State Forrest but have about 1800' of strip but the width is limited in one area. I will have to remeasure but thinking it is 50-60' max. I used to fly a modified Champ into/out of it and now fly my RANS S7. Both of these are more in the 'Bush plane' catagory hence the wish to find something I can do some longer cross country flights. Also own a 172 that I have flown all over the US but looking for something more efficient and faster.
    I will have to revisit Pipistrel, I did give them another quick glance when at Oshkosh but they may have been out of my budget.
    Its about as roomy as a Kitfox. Of the three wingspan that they sell, the shortest is 35', same as a Luscombe. It can handle the strip that I'm clearing. 1450 X 75 with 20' barrier. The controllable feathering prop gets you to 147 KTS but your airmans cert must say "Glider" on it.

Bob,
    I have ridden in a Kitfox and actually might be getting one in the next couple of weeks. It is an unfinished kit and not sure if I will keep it for myself or if my son will take it. He has expressed a desired to have one due to the folding wing feature. He is in the AF (currently in Afganistan) and expects to move soon so wants something he can trailer along with his travels.
    For myself, I still want something fast though. Where is this strip? Yours or a shared strip? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose it on here. The reason I ask is I may be down to Fl. in a couple of weeks and would like to visit and look at your plane if possible. I will be at Defuniak Springs to visit the in-laws. I have some property (pretty much abandoned) close to Navarre Beach. I lived there for 9 years (ex-military) and then had renters that distroyed the place.
    Thanks,
    Keith