Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ragwings outside?

For Manassas (KHEF), look into T-hangers of VA, http://www.vahangars.com/contact.htm. That's who I rent from and they can tell you what's available. Also the Airport Authority rents hangars as well -- give'em a shout at 703-361-1882 and see if anything is open.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I would go with a good canopy/cockpit cover and just be certain that there are adequate drain holes and they are open. As Louis and Martyayes pointed out it is done, but more environmental damage is likely. Keep it dried out, fly it that sunny day after the rain and keep snow from building up deep on it. In the past when the flight school cubs and champs lived out doors they had cotton covering. The good thing about fabric that only lasts 5-6 years,(out doors), was that the whole structure was carefully checked and refinished at those intervals as well. Polyester with good finish may hold up just fine while corrosion or rot is happening unnoticed underneath.

I don't have a solution different from others except that your plight makes me appreciate the lower cost of hangars in mtns of Calif at L35. My T-hangar runs $180/mo with power and we have a couple of vacancies and free coffee.

Could something like the Aero-Lift make sense for you? Maybe you could work out a deal to split a hangar rent with someone if the purchase of the lift isn't too expensive.

When I completed my RV a few years ago,I found a hanger for only $140 per month and figured extended paint life alone would pay for the hanger. The same hanger is now $195 per month and I'm working on a second airplane, a Zenith 750. I expect at least one of the airplanes is going to have to live outside in Maine weather. Neither are ragwings, but UV damage to plastic and plexi plus moisture to structuer, interior and avionics is the same. I'd rather have an airplane sitting outside than no airplane at all!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    This is only my opinion but I would never leave an airplane outside in the weather (metal or not). The sun tends to rot the fabric, dull the paint and not to mention the chance of hail damage and wind damage. Also, I've rebuilt a number of tail draggers that have sat out in the rain and weather and almost all have the lower tail section rusted and/or repaired. One on a Champ was so bad I wondered how the tail stayed on. On the other hand, I don't leave my tractors or cars outside either. Equipment needs to protected from the elements and that's why the insurance companies offer a discount if your plane is in a hangar.
    Excellent advice. I have owned six acft- both tube & fabric & all metal- and have found that exposure to the elements is detrimental, as L16 states. I also have many farm tractors & implements and nothing of value is stored outside. I had to store some things outside while starting up, but in every case I found there was a price associated with that.

Ever think about getting a partner to share costs with?

I have a Citabria and a Pitts. They both fit in the same hangar, but honestly the Citabria gets flown less. So for example if I could find a partner on the Citabria then the hangar rent would be reduced and the plane would fly more. If you have two planes, this might be an option.

Not that I am actually interested in a partner, but just using it as an example.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Yeah, keeping an airplane outside means a little more upkeep and the paint needs waxed a little more often.
    But, 81D has been outside for the last 62 years and she only has minimal corrosion in the expected areas and I've been ALL thru the plane.
    I may not clean the tires with a toothbrush but she's a damn nice looking 170.

What Im hearing is to make sure the drain holes are done right, get a descent set of covers and fly it frequently.

Thanks!

WV22, grass strip, great aviation community, hangar(s) available, and roughly an hours commute from DC/Leesburg area.