Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ragwings outside?

Ragwings outside?

I live in the DC area and would REALLY like to pick up a 2 hole biplane as a second airplane.
    However, as anyone in the DC area will tell you, getting a hangar to put it in is simply not an option. Even if I had the opportunity to rent a hangar (2 to 3 year wait minimum) I don't have the $500 to $600 a month to pay for it.

I keep our 170 outside year round already but that's all metal.

I'm looking for advice/ideas on how to keep something like a Starduster/AcroSport/Skybolt outside in the weather year round.

My initial thought was to make/have made a custom set of covers for the whole plane to keep it relatively dry but in a way to let it breath.

Is anyone else doing this?

PS: Before the conversation swings: Yes, hangars are that expensive around here and No, I don't want some all metal airplane solution.

Piper Cubs and other airplanes of that era were stored outside for decades. Typically, even with covers, water collects in the tail and the rudder post and the aft portion of the lower longerons rust out. You can look at the Univair and Wag Aero catalogs and find repair subassemblies for sale that are prewelded tail post and lower longeron stubs.

And you need to keep the drain holes in the wings as well as the fuselage belly clear so that minimal water collects. Any imperfectly sealed wood structure like wing ribs and spars will suffer from being wet regularly.

The sun's UV is the enemy of all aircraft fabric coverings. Expect less life and more maintenance.

So it is sort of a pay now or pay later situation. It seems stupid to make the same payments for a hangar as you make on the mortgage for your airplane, but it is often the smart option.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

"DC area" is pretty big, depending on your definition. Manassas, right at the edge of the SFRA (but still inside) lists T-hangars as low as $325/month -- but you can go upscale for a $500/mo hangar if you want to. Culpepper is supposed to be less than that. $325 isn't cheap (ask my wife who manages our finances) but it gives me a place to know my plane is (relatively) safe and I can tinker around with it.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I'm moving to Herndon, which puts me in range of Leesburg, sorta Manassas and a hike to anyplace else.
    Does Manassas have any of those T-hangars available? Cuz every place I'v called (even over to Annapolis and Lee) nothing is available for any price.
    All the airports I've called have a 2 year waiting list so price is beside the point.

I'm keep the 170 tied out at Freeway (W00) but that's a long drive from Herndon.

The tube rust could be mitigated with ACF-50 and you can get fairly creative with making covers.
    I'm interested in hearing from anyone that actually keeps a wood wing open cockpit outside.

This is only my opinion but I would never leave an airplane outside in the weather (metal or not). The sun tends to rot the fabric, dull the paint and not to mention the chance of hail damage and wind damage. Also, I've rebuilt a number of tail draggers that have sat out in the rain and weather and almost all have the lower tail section rusted and/or repaired. One on a Champ was so bad I wondered how the tail stayed on. On the other hand, I don't leave my tractors or cars outside either. Equipment needs to protected from the elements and that's why the insurance companies offer a discount if your plane is in a hangar.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Yeah, that's great advice. If only A. there was a hangar available and B. I could afford $500 a month to pay for it; life would be so much easier. But in the mean time if I was to listen to you, I wouldn't even own the plane I have now.

So, aside from all the wonderful aspects of owning an hangar (which I am well aware of)...

Does anyone have any REAL advice on keeping a wood wing airplane outside?

In your opening post you said:

My initial thought was to make/have made a custom set of covers for the whole plane to keep it relatively dry but in a way to let it breath.
    That's probably as good as it will get without hangaring. It will do OK out there, but as with all aircraft, maintenance will be more needed than for one kept inside, as you obviously already know.

Larry N.

Hangar space is hard to get here in Fairbanks also. There's plenty of Citabria's Aeronca's and other planes with wood spars parked outside here year round. I knew a guy who had a Starduster parked outside in Fairbanks....not a whole lot of open cockpits around here! You might want to look into mesh wing covers with spoilers sewn into them. If I was in your shoes I would not even think about the lack of a hangar preventing me from getting that plane.....life is short!

Sorry David. I didn't mean to sound that negative about your situation. It's just that as a mechanic I've seen so much machinery of types ruined or at least damaged by nasty weather and too much sun. I've even seen pictures of wings broken by excessive wet snow loads on top of the wings. Some sort of a wing mesh cover is probably your best bet along with a good canopy cover. Too bad there isn't some kind of a hail shed (roof without sides) around the area for your use. As I travel I see a number of airports with shelters of that type which the rent should be cheaper rather than an enclosed hangar. Good luck!
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Put your covers over the cockpit and make sure the entire airframe has adequate and properly installed drain paths. If any water gets inside the structure, it needs a path to get out - immediately.

It's been my experience that a lot of damage to ALL airplanes (metal & wood/tube/fabric) is caused by water getting into the structure and not having a path to exit. Simply flying more helps with that. That should be incentive to get out and fly the plane more often. A lot of complicated covers and seals protecting the plane while sitting out in the elements can be counter productive to flying. If it takes 2 hrs of work to fly for 30 min., guess what's going to happen?

I wouldn't let lack of a hangar stop me from getting a plane if that's what I wanted.
    Last edited by martymayes; 09-17-2014 at 08:45 AM.