Thread: Reno Air Races

Reno Air Races

If any of you are interested there is live coverage of the Reno races. A link can be found at the airrace.org website under the sights and sounds tab. Click on live tv and enjoy
    Rick
    Last edited by wyoranch; 09-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.

The link is http://www.liveairshowtv.com . Then click on the little featured links box on the left side of the page about halfway down that says "Reno Air Races - WATCH LIVE!"

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

Thanks for posting the link. I never had the opportunity to see the races before. Only increases my desire to go there some day.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Steven Hinton in Voodo won at 492 mph and that is pretty fast, about 25 mph faster than the winner of the jet class. These are average speeds around the course, top speed on the longer stragith would be over 500 mph.

Byron J. Covey
    Jeff Lavelle qualified in Sport class at just under 410 MPH, and averaged just over 403 MPH in a heat race in his Glasair III. He won the Gold with an average of 398.960 MPH, fast enough to have placed fifth in the Unlimited Gold.

Not bad for a design that is now over 28 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Jeff Lavelle qualified in Sport class at just under 410 MPH, and averaged just over 403 MPH in a heat race in his Glasair III. He won the Gold with an average of 398.960 MPH, fast enough to have placed fifth in the Unlimited Gold.

Not bad for a design that is now over 28 years old.
    We agree. The Glasair is still a great design.

399 is moving in most anything, especially considering that is an average around turns, etc. Does the Sportsman run their own course or the same as the unlimiiteds? I wouldn't want to get in Rare Beares wake in a small homebuilt. And as for old desgns, the P-51 is about 72 years old and the engine design about 80 years old.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.

In looking up "Jeff Lavelle" on google, there is a story about someone of the same name from Everett. Wash and Boeing and wire fraud and some financial problems with the govt. in July. Didn't seem to keep him from flying fast in Sept.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-18-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Byron J. Covey
    The Sport class ran the same course as the Unlimiteds.

Although I don't know him personally, I do know that that is the same Jeff. My admiration is for his airplane.

Same course, but not at the same time...no Rare Bear wake to worry about unless you're running 4th, 5th, or 6th in the unlimited class.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575