Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Threat of Hypoxia and a Simple Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    This past week, 2 fatal accidents have highlighted pilot incapacitation at higher altitudes. Based on the flights themselves and reports from the air force pilots who intercepted the stricken planes, it's quite possible that hypoxia may have been the cause.

Although I rarely fly above 8,000 ft., there are times such as over large bodies of water where we get up to 11,000 ft. Based on the fact that I'm not getting any younger and my belief in an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I'm investing in a very inexpensive Pulse Oximeter. It's a non-invasive, easy to use diagnostic clip-on-your-finger tool that provides instant monitoring and measurements of blood oxygen levels to prevent hypoxia.

They can be bought at any drug store. Likely, the cheapest aviation thingy that you will ever purchase and could save a life--yours.
    PLEASE DO NOT BLINDLY RELY ON A CHEAP PULSE OX!!!!! 10 years in EMS and I have seen pulse ox meters that read all over the place. There are many factors that play into the accuracy of the reading. Nail polish, placement on the finger, CO in the bloodstream and movement will all effect accuracy.

Use it as a tool/indicator but do not use it as you sole means of monitoring for hipoxia.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    PLEASE DO NOT BLINDLY RELY ON A CHEAP PULSE OX!!!!! 10 years in EMS and I have seen pulse ox meters that read all over the place. There are many factors that play into the accuracy of the reading. Nail polish, placement on the finger, CO in the bloodstream and movement will all effect accuracy.

Use it as a tool/indicator but do not use it as you sole means of monitoring for hipoxia.
    I appreciate your concern and as an EMS pro your advice is well taken. I assure you I don't do anything with eyes wide shut and my lungs and brain are filled with O2 when decisions are made.

The oximeter is a safeguard and a precaution device allowing one to take a pro active and positive step forward to prevent the possibility of onslaught hypoxia. It is a simple means to avoid a catastrophic situation.

A lot of ink has been used this week in the aviation press to write about these events and the subject of hypoxia and the overwhelming preventative solution that is talked about is the use of a oximeter. As an EMS worker, can you let me/us know about alternative options.

To maximize oximeter accuracy, I promise to remove my nail polish.

If you know you have low tolerance to oxygen deprivation and this can effect flying judgements, why not just use supplemental O2 on any flight above your comfort zone?
    With an oximeter on your finger telling you your level is lower than normal, you would either drop down in altitude or use supplemental O2, so do it anyway with or without a meter.
    I live and fly out of 7000' airport and we naturally gain some hypoxia tolerance benefit that way, so flying to 11,500' doesn't bother most of us even at ages over 70 if you stay in moderate aerobic condition.
    But for some flatlanders flying up, the higher altitude does make them physically and mentally weaker until they acclimatize.

I do. I have an oxygen tank and demand valves that make it run for a good long time. We'll put on O2 over 10K (yeah, I used to live in Denver too....but I've been down on the flats for a long time). Oxygen is cheap.

Black and White situations are always easy - cabin pressure gone! Really cold in here, declare emergency and seek warmer altitude

But isn't it more likely to be a creeping situation??? In the case of hypoxia, Your JUDGEMENT goes with the creep.

So you are left with a warning that has no great importance to your euphoric state...

Would a pulse-oxy meter help? You can't wear it full time, it is clumsy, and what does 79% mean to you while you are in euphoria land?

Of course everyone has their own reaction to hypoxia - mine is anxiety which is good! I did the chamber when the fee was $10 and a vacation day.

The Chamber training is a Good idea, along with the pulse-oxy meter (have one!) but above all is the iron will to Take Action if something seems just a little wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    I've flown high altitudes in all sorts of aircraft and have been through USAF altitude chambers multiple times. The controlled hypoxia experience can be a life-saver. I believe it should be a requirement for everyone who flies at high altitudes.

An important note on the "time of useful consciousness"....those times are for healthy, physically fit pilots. Prescription meds, fatigue, smoking, and other things will greatly reduce those times and may cut them in half or more.

The penalty for declaring an emergency?....NONE!!!! If in doubt, even the slightest doubt, declare an emergency and take immediate positive action...whether flying a Malibu up high or a Piper Cub down low. If ATC isn't giving you what you need, do it anyway and tell them you're doing it. Yes, you may have to write a statement explaining your actions, but you'll be alive to write it. Only the pilot in command can determine whether you're in an emergency situation. No one else will second guess you, either during your emergency actions or afterwards.

Pilots are typically reluctant to declare an emergency. You're paying for ATC services and airport emergency services. The aircraft rescue and firefighting forces (ARFF) are standing by, probably bored, and eager to exercise their equipment and skills. Use them! Minor aircraft malfunctions can compound quickly into serious mechanical problems. Physiological emergencies can result from hypoxia or simply from the burger you ate for lunch. If you don't feel right, get it down and on the ground quickly. You might burp and feel better or it might be the big one. You've earned the title of pilot-in-command; act like one and take positive action.
    As a photographer in the Navy every emergency landing of any type at all was to be filmed with both still camera and motion picture camera. The photo lab was adjacent to the control tower. An alarm would sound in the photo lab and we would dash to the top of the control tower to do our business. Although nothing untowards ever came of any of this (it was usually a P3 landing with one motor inop) it was the highlight of our day. Crash crews, the USCG, Naval photographers and such don't wish anyone any harm but like to get the call. Don't be afraid to make it.

Now taking photos of the crashed F4 Phantom with two dead crew in the trees was no fun at all. Poor bastard touched down, blew a tire and drifted off the runway. He tried to get it airborne.