Thread: Acey Deucy

Acey Deucy

Hi, several months ago I started the restoration of an Aecy Ducey project that was located in a barn where it was stored for over thirty years. The project was never completed. recently I discovered that it is nearly impossible to easily enter and exit the rear cockpit -- flies from the rear cockpit. I had an aeronautical engineer friend draw up modifications to the fuselage tube design that would allow me to cut a segment from the top longeron and install a door smaller, but similar to the door installed in the front cockpit as part of the original design.
    My engineer friend urges me to find some kind of data that would verify his design. I'm looking for examples of vintage aircraft that have doors installed in tandem, steel tube structures. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find this data? I was informed by the EAA Hq. folks the the Baking Duece has two doors and I am looking for info on how the fuselage is designed to allow the rear door.

Thanks for your help.

Acey Deucy

Hello, Grenier,

I built and flew an Acey Deucy in the early 1980's. Powered by a C85, it was(is) a wonderful aircraft. Flew it regularly until about 2005 when I stopped flying. Still have it and won't sell it. I built the entire airplane and solved the rear cockpit entry problem by building a semi-circular cutout in the rear of the center section (for vertical clearance) with a hand hold in it. The plans may show this , I don't remember. I also welded a step (small piece of streamlined tube) to the bottom longeron cluster under the back end of the cockpit on the right side.

By placing my right foot on the step and using the hand hold, I would pull up, swing my left foot into the rear seat, then bring the right foot in and stand on the seat, then just lower myself into the cockpit using cockpit sides and the center section hand hold. To exit, pull up and stand in the seat, right foot out and onto step, then swing left foot out and to the ground. Somewhat like getting on and off a horse. A door is not necessary here but is for the front cockpit as I believe is shown on the plans.

Hope this helps,
    John Simpson