Thread: Eaa lobbying

Eaa lobbying

I have been thinking about joining the eaa for some time, but Iwant to know how "advocacy" money is used in lobbying. I am happy that they are fighting for our rights to fly, but I would like to know who gets money. I used to be a member of the aopa, until I found that they gave my money to some politicians who are absolutely abhorrent to me. I was so sickened that my money may have gone to such enemies of liberty that I quit immediately. So, I want to know where eaa money goes so I don't make a similar mistake. Thanks for the info.

You can start by checking here: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-advocacy

The AOPA does not give money to any politicians. The AOPA PAC does however. Unless you made a specific contribution to the PAC, none of your AOPA dues went to a political campaign. The amounts donated and who they go to is public information.

EAA does not, to my knowledge, has an associated PAC.

Advocacy/Lobbying is not political contribution.

Yep, I just went on the big search for direct political spending (PAC's, campaign contributions, etc.) and found none exist for EAA. Their lobbying is of the old school "let me visit you and remind of how many members we have and how happy you can make them by doing the right thing" sort.

One of the things I've noticed is that EAA seems to work more directly with agencies than with members of Congress, which makes sense. Why bother with a Congressman or a Senator to get a law passed that over-rides a regulation when one can form a relationship and have some influence with the committee within the FAA that writes it to begin with? Not to say EAA doesn't talk to law makers, but most of the big issue pushes seem to be with the FAA itself.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Jonathan Harger
    Ron has it right: EAA does not contribute to politicians, and we do not have an associated PAC. We are barred from political contributions by our 501(c)(3) incorporation.
    What we do is work with the FAA in an effort to make the regulatory environment for recreational aviation as EAA member-friendly as possible--we advocate for policy that lower barriers to access to aviation in terms of access, burden, and cost.
    In addition to working with the FAA, we have staff in Washington, DC that work to educate Congress about aviation-related legislation and its potential impact on our community. Again, political contributions are never a part of that effort.
    We also have limited engagement in state legislative efforts that affect recreational aviation, and we work to help our members in local airport issues.
    So: our members' dues are never used to support politicians, parties, or campaigns.
    Thank you for posting; I hope this answers your question.

Thanks so much for the good info. I have no problem with eaa representing us to the regulatory bodies. This is good work and as a pilot appreciate it very much. I will be joining the eaa to support that work and to help myself learn more to keep my old airplane flying!

I'm with EAA,I like there style,of course I'm also a member of AOPA.