Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAB that qualify as light sport

EAB that qualify as light sport

I did not want to hijack the very good thread on EAB vs LSA. Is there a list of EAB aircraft that can be flown under sport pilot?

If not can we start one?
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Its a weight thing, speed thing.

Fisher Flying Products all fit into this class, as do Mini-max's. Most your Rans if not all Rans aircraft can be flown SP. Some Sonerai's fall into the SP class. The two seat stretch low wing is one. Some build and fly these as SP.

That's about all off the top of my head I can think of but there are many many more. Just all that come to mind right now.

Tony

I am particularly interested in older designs.....
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

When you say older you mean airplane design older or a company that has been around a long time?

Look at Dawn Patrol. That is an Old design.

Older as in aircraft that were designed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Aircraft that were designed and plans built...

-Charles Lindbergh

Fly Baby, Pietenpol, Volksplane, Cuby and variants... I'd guess more than half of all homebuilt designs would qualify as LSA.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Its a weight thing, speed thing.

Fisher Flying Products all fit into this class, as do Mini-max's. Most your Rans if not all Rans aircraft can be flown SP. Some Sonerai's fall into the SP class. The two seat stretch low wing is one. Some build and fly these as SP.

That's about all off the top of my head I can think of but there are many many more. Just all that come to mind right now.

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    Older as in aircraft that were designed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Aircraft that were designed and plans built...

I believe those I posted fall into this group....

Lets see the Sonerai was designed in the 70's.

All the rest I mention was designed in the late 70's or 80's.....

Tony

The original poster wanted a list of EAB aircraft that could be flown under Sport Pilot. Then the request was changed to request older designs that could be plans built.

Just to be complete, the Sonex line of aircraft (Sonex, Waiex, Xenos, Onex) can all be flown by a Sport Pilot. All are kits except for the basic Sonex, which can be plans-built (as in, you buy all the raw material and fabricate your own parts, down to welding the tube components) or kit built.

I believe some of the older Zenith designs may be SP compatible, but I wouldn't wager more than a Coke on that information. I believe some of them are also plans-buildable.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Banned
    With apologies to Jack Nicholson, "You wanna a list, you can't handle lists", but these come extremely close to ultimate lists:

Firstly, here's the list of LSA qualifications:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-c...ort-pilot-rule

Here's a list of FAA approved E-AB Kits:

Amateur-Built Kit Listing - Federal Aviation Administration

Here's a directory database of E-AB including plans-built that's quite exhaustive:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimen...craft_list.htm

All you have to do now is take the time to make a comparative analysis and then pick your poison. Be careful what you ask for and have fun.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 08-31-2014 at 09:18 AM.