Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoration clarification

OK, if you are using any of the official paperwork or data plate, you can't circumvent the normal maintenance/repair rules. It's not the case you're doing an amateur built experimental here, you're rebuilding (even if it's like Abe Lincoln's Ax) a certificated plane and you have to follow the rules as to who can perform the work, what parts you can use, etc... You still get some leeway on "owner produced" parts, but it's an entirely different ballgame than the suppositions made in the earlier responses.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Your headline is at odds with the body of your post. If you want to build something from plans or looking at an existing rendition, yes you can very much build it as amateur built experimental. However, if you're talking about "restoring" something that's already built, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.
    Mr Hopkins, I, like you, love vintage air yachts and I especially love to fly airplanes that float. Here's some inspiration for you and 2 examples that point out Ron's differences:

About 2 years ago I came across this by chance. A builder by the name of Walter Treadwell from California I believe, scratch built(E-AB) a 55% scale replica of a Sikorsky S-38. It was a 10 year undertaking that is so incredibly impressive it goes way beyond the "wow" factor. I also learned that he was 92 when he finished and this video was posted a couple of years ago. I hope he's still with us so you can track him down and pick his brain. Mr. Treadwell is obviously someone who likes to take on big challenges and succeed, as back in the 90's he also scratch built a 50% scale P-38 Lightning.

http://youtu.be/I2GephPzpKg

Then there's the well documented story of Dick Jackson's 40 year odyssey to RESTORE a full scale Sikorsky S-39 to flying condition, the only airworthy, flying S-39 in the world, now owned by Kermit Weeks.

http://www.spiritofigor.com/history.html

I wish you all the best, either Goose replica or restoration. These stories tell you it can and has been done.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 09-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.