Thread: Antique Experimental with Shotgun mount

Antique Experimental with Shotgun mount

I have a 1957 Stitts Flut R Bug that is just about ready to get a new airworthiness certificate after being in storage from 1966 until 2011. I talked to the design engineer (Ray Stitts) tonight and he told me some interesting history about this plane. It was built by a guy in New Mexico and flown off a sheep ranch. The owner had a shotgun mounted to the plane and used it to go after coyotes and eagles that were killing his sheep. I was asked if I saw the mount for the shotgun and I haven't noticed such a thing but maybe and I don't know what I am looking at? Since the airworthiness certificate expired I am having to go through a re-issuance of the airworthiness certificate which requires a DAR to sign off on it. The plane has been flown about 200 hours and flight testing has been signed off by the FAA way back in 1958. I have flown a Flut R Bug many times off the family ranch airstrip back in the 60'so I am familiar with the plane. This was one of the first planes to start the experimental movement back in the 50's.

Very neat. Could you post some pictures of the aircraft?
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

I am also a Flut-R-Bug fan and would love to see some photos of your plane with or without the shotgun mount.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    I am also a Flut-R-Bug fan and would love to see some photos of your plane with or without the shotgun mount.
    I have jpg photos but for some reason can't upload them?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That looks like a fun airplane! Any photos of the interior?
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

What are the specs?

-Charles Lindbergh

Flut R Bug Specs

Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    What are the specs?
    My plane weighs 662# with the Cont C 90 engine - no starter generator or vacuum pump
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't have any good photos of the interior. No baggage compartment, very small cockpit area and limited on aft cg. I plan on removing one of the wing fuel tanks (5 gal each) that the previous owner installed and making it into a wing locker so as to have a small compartment to carry a few things in.

Looks like great fun, thanks!
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft