Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: expired airworthiness certificate

i see your first post in aug 14
    cleared for test flight sept 14

PDQ action from the fed i think "
    somewhere i think i saw something about the standards changing and requiring all the E-AB built and tested before a cutoff date to do another test flight sequence .
    i hate to hang my butt out talking from memory and not quoting a reference .

but it donna really matter
    you WERE CLEARED FOR TEST SEQUENCE

light the fires and launch

how is this test sequence going on that Classic Collectible Aircraft

over to you

1st test flight

Quote Originally Posted by mrbarry View Post
    i see your first post in aug 14
    cleared for test flight sept 14

PDQ action from the fed i think "
    somewhere i think i saw something about the standards changing and requiring all the E-AB built and tested before a cutoff date to do another test flight sequence .
    i hate to hang my butt out talking from memory and not quoting a reference .

but it donna really matter
    you WERE CLEARED FOR TEST SEQUENCE

light the fires and launch

how is this test sequence going on that Classic Collectible Aircraft

over to you
    I did the first test flight on Monday morning and the engine/prop were perfect. The airspeed indicator seemed to be in-accurate however the plane was climbing like crazy at 40 knots indicated and really jumped into the air. I got the airspeed to ZERO (at 4000 ft) and the plane was still flying - nose up - not stalled - fully controllable. I have some buffeting in the tail that some close up of gaps between the fuselage and wing might help? I did talk to Ray Stitts about this and he is sending me a drawing of a fairing that he designed that should take care of the problem. I ordered a new SkySports airspeed indicator in MPH from Aircraft Spruce - never heard of that brand and don't know if it will be reliable or not ? The airspeed indicator in the plane now was tested at an instrument shop and was working when I installed it -2 years ago. However it is probably 50 years old - so not trustworthy - Bad weather here for the next several days so it will be maybe the weekend before I fly it again. I need an accurate airspeed indicator to record the various speeds requested for phase 1 testing.

great progress mike!

Maybe you could install a temporary airspeed indicator? Might have to fiddle with the static location to get a good indication.

Airspeed indicator

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    great progress mike!

Maybe you could install a temporary airspeed indicator? Might have to fiddle with the static location to get a good indication.
    I am just going by the fact that the plane has been flown for maybe 200 hours and the location of the pitot tube and static port have not been changed in the past 50 years so replacing the airspeed indicator with a new one that reads in MPH will be a place to start.

That's pretty funny in that I was thinking that I'd replace the airspeed indicator - in 50 years it might be a little cranky.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

There are test you can perform to make sure your system is working as it should. You can check for leaks in the system and for calibration of the system. One uses a Manometer you can build yourself. The other requires you to take a section of tubing. Stick it over the pitot tube then roll up the tubing or hose until you get 3/4 reading on your ASI. If your ASI is one that reads say to 80, you would look for a reading of around 70 on the gauge when performing this test.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    There are test you can perform to make sure your system is working as it should. You can check for leaks in the system and for calibration of the system. One uses a Manometer you can build yourself. The other requires you to take a section of tubing. Stick it over the pitot tube then roll up the tubing or hose until you get 3/4 reading on your ASI. If your ASI is one that reads say to 80, you would look for a reading of around 70 on the gauge when performing this test.
    I will check everything out when I replace the airspeed indicator.
    Mike

Calibrating your ASI or air speed indicator.

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/articles/KP89JUL.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by aeromike49 View Post
    I ordered a new SkySports airspeed indicator in MPH from Aircraft Spruce - never heard of that brand and don't know if it will be reliable or not ? The airspeed indicator in the plane now was tested at an instrument shop and was working when I installed it -2 years ago. However it is probably 50 years old - so not trustworthy
    I'm guessing you started the thread about SkySports being Chinese. I'd be an overhauled 50 year old ASI will be better than a Chinese one!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem