Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North 40 parking and camping

North 40 parking and camping

Does anyone feel that the aircraft in many instances were crammed together way too tightly . I noticed some rows were teed Together so tight there was little to no room for your tent and other rows were wingtip to wingtip. Teeing them in is ok but there needs to be enough room to allow people to walk around their tent without falling on their neighbors. There is a bit of a safety issue with this as well.

Looked like some aircraft where very tight,and some had plenty of room ,looks like the regular guests park their airplanes with enough room for the camping experience.

Are campfires/BBQ's allowed up in North 40? I plan to fly in next year (drove this year). But not sure if I want the safety risk of open flames with really tightly packed in aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by frfly172 View Post
    Looked like some aircraft where very tight,and some had plenty of room ,looks like the regular guests park their airplanes with enough room for the camping experience.
    People were parking as directed by the ground crew.

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    Are campfires/BBQ's allowed up in North 40? I plan to fly in next year (drove this year). But not sure if I want the safety risk of open flames with really tightly packed in aircraft.
    I think grilles are allowed but not campfires.

From the Airventure site:
    Fire Safety

The Oshkosh Fire Department strictly prohibits wood campfires and charcoal grills (per National Fire Protection Association standards) anywhere in the aircraft camping areas.

Use of white gas or propane-fired camp stoves is allowed in aircraft camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

In practice nobody cares much about cooking apparatus, smoking, or alcohol consumption inside individual campsites despite the general prohibitions as long as you keep reasonably to yourself.

What's the rule on alcohol consumption in the camp ground?

Quote Originally Posted by frfly172 View Post
    What's the rule on alcohol consumption in the camp ground?
    Prohibited, but ignored and not enforced. Doesn't everyone know the location of the beer casket?
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Beer, wine, alcoholic beverages, liquor and other alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the grounds. Just like smoking.

I suspect that the last two responses were tongue in cheek, but of course beer is not prohibited. In fact it is sold in all the EAA stores around the grounds.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"