So, I knew this already, but I thought I went into a place I could trust when looking for good Doug Fir for my airplane project. I went into my local lumber supplier and asked the guy (with whom I'd spoken before about airplane stuff -- he was interested and excited about the topic) if he had any wide-plank Douglas Fir. He said he had 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12. I said cool. He asked what I was using it for, and like a dummy I said, "for an airplane".

He went on to tell me that his was #2-grade stuff, and his suppliers didn't hand-pick lumber with a straight enough grain that it would likely require. I told him that was fine, as that's my job to pick out the right quality material, since there isn't such a thing as "certified aircraft grade lumber". He told me, "Sorry, I can't help you."

I asked him if I could take a look at what he had, to which he repeated, "My supplier doesn't hand-pick lumber of this quality. Sorry, I can't help you." He wouldn't even allow me to look at his stock.

So, lesson learned. If you're looking for Doug Fir, you're not building an airplane, you're building doors. Or a boat. Or a shed. Or go try your luck at the big box stores where you couldn't get anyone to help you find lumber, even if you were throwing $100 bills on the floor in the lumber section. Then you can peruse to your heart's content without being bothered.

I'm really disappointed in this guy, because I've done plenty of business with him. But as soon as I uttered the "A" word, I might as well have the plague. Too bad, really. Too bad.

~Chris