Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't say "Airplane"

It is imperative that you breath aviation o2!

This is an unintended bonus of building an RV. In the situations like these when you get asked you just say I’m working on my RV. I can’t help it if they think Winnebago and not Van’s.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

For parts... It's a custom off road vehicle, that's what it is. What kind? Oh, home built. Engine? Don't know yet, maybe VW or something similar, maybe Rotax. All true. No mention of an airplane.

For wood... It's an art piece. That's why I need such straight grained wood.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Funny, everybody talks about this problem, but I have never experienced it. Local hardware store, auto parts store, lumberyard, "What's it for?" "It's for my airplane." Oh, cool!"

When I was looking for spar stock for my Starduster I called Condon Lumber in NY, was told, "We don't stock aircraft grade lumber specifically but you're welcome to come down and look through what we have, other airplane builders do."

Closest I came to that was an online supplier of 2-stroke (Cuyuna) engine parts who had a disclaimer about none of the parts being designed for, or should be used on, any aircraft, but they knew full well what people were buying them for.

Breathing oxygen and welding oxygen are exactly the same thing, from the same tanks at the supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Funny, everybody talks about this problem, but I have never experienced it. Local hardware store, auto parts store, lumberyard, "What's it for?" "It's for my airplane." Oh, cool!"
    Happened to me when I took my generator in for a rebuild. The guy looked at it, and said, "This looks like it came from an airplane. We're not allowed to work on airplane generators."

"It's for an off-road vehicle...."

"Well, that's OK then."

About 15 years ago I needed some brake-pad material to replace the pads on my Goodyears (list price, $200 a pair for pads the size of a poker chip). Went to the local brake shop to see if I could buy some scrap. Made the mistake of saying "airplane," got the beginning of a freeze-out, then changed my story and all was well. Gave them $15 for a the shop's beer fund; got me enough material for a dozen pads.

On the other hand, I needed a new tachometer cable and took mine to the speedometer-repair shop for measurement and replacement. Used the "off-road vehicle" line. Guy at the counter said, "Looks more like an airplane unit, we do those all the time....."

Ron Wanttaja

Dana your statement about oxygen is almost correct.

There are several ways that industry professionals refer to oxygen grades. The Compression Gas Association (CGA) has identified seven grades of oxygen, A through G, which determine how pure the oxygen is. Oxygen may also be designated as USP, which means that it has been certified by the eponymous organization, the United States Pharmacopeia (USP).
    Almost all oxygen produced in plants now meets USP requirements, mainly due to economic reasons of storing oxygen in separate facilities, but it is the purity of the oxygen (i.e., how much of any other gases are still present) and the way the oxygen cylinders are filled that separate oxygen grades. There are four accepted “grades” of oxygen used in various industries: welding, research, aviation and medical.

so regarding purity......

Welding oxygen is used in certain types of welding techniques, either to aid in the production of heat or as an additive to aid in stability of the process. While in use, other contaminants may enter the oxygen cylinder, such as acetylene. When a cylinder must be filled with oxygen, the fill station operator will detect whether there is a presence of acetylene. If there is, the cylinder is cleaned and later filled with oxygen. If the cylinder is labeled for medical oxygen, the cylinder must be evacuated before being refilled.
    Aviation breathing oxygen (ABO) is strictly regulated, and neither medical nor industrial grade oxygen can be substituted because of these standards. The CGA’s Grade E is commonly also called aviator’s grade, and this oxygen must also go through additional drying steps before it goes into a cylinder.
    Research grade oxygen is 99.999% pure (“five nines,” also called grade 5) and is used in both chemical research facilities and specialty welding applications in the aerospace industry.
    Medical oxygen is used for oxygen therapy and hospitals, is designated as a drug and therefore must satisfy FDA requirements for compressed medical gas. One of the requirements is that cylinders containing oxygen must always be completed evacuated to minimize the risk of contamination.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

And BTW, don't forget to take off your EAA, Vans, Zenith, or whatever aviation-themed T-shirt before you wander in to these places on the weekend. You say "off road vehicle" and they say "yeah right buddy".

Ironically that don’t say airplane rule doesn’t seem to apply when shopping for tools. Hmmmm...... wonder why???
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Ironically that don’t say airplane rule doesn’t seem to apply when shopping for tools. Hmmmm...... wonder why???
    Unless someone gets VERY sloppy with a welder, a socket wrench or screwdriver is not likely to become incorporated into the aircraft structure. Makes it harder for a lawyer to point at it and claim it's the cause of the accident.

Ron "Why is there a latex glove glued inside the wing?" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 01-21-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Ron "Why is there a latex glove glued inside the wing?" Wanttaja
    Just in case.

Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.