Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint stripper

paint stripper

Hi Folks;
    I am restoring a '56 Cessna 172 and I just can't get the old paint off the wings and struts.
    I've tried two different acid based strippers, the last being CPC.
    Usually the top coat comes off but those under, especially the primer won't budge.
    I tried to "scruff" the paint-didn't work
    I cleaned off any residual film barrier with MEK-didn't work.
    I tried covering the wet stripper with sheet plastic to hold the solvents-didn't work.

Any suggestions?
    Roy

Have you tried Klean Strip KS-3? I have found it to remove just about anything, including really old green chromate primer. Stiff plastic brushes and scrapers are a must for areas that don't bubble and lift well. Some paints just smear around instead of bubbling up.

I'll give it a try. This paint and primer is stuck like bad reputation.
    thanks a bunch
    Roy

Most shops use a lightly hand stroked wire brush in the wet stripper, followed with scotchbright to polish any scratches from the wire brush.
    I know the wire brush isn't recommended in the books. But it actually makes the paint stick better.

Don't use a wire brush if you intend to go bare polished aluminum.

If a wire brush is used, make sure it has SS bristles. Use of Scotch-Brite will also preclude a having a polished finish. Can never get those scratches out.

The least effort paint removal method, especially old paint like that described, will be soda blasting. It's just not practical for a lot of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If a wire brush is used, make sure it has SS bristles.
    concur strongly with Marty. using a steel brush will embed bits in the aluminum, ensuring future corrosion. ref - navy (now all military) corrosion control manual.

buddyamine swears the best paint stripper he's ever used is DOT 1,2,or 3 brake fluid; takes off anything he's ever spilled it on if it sits overnight, but washes off easily with soap and water. i've never tried to verify. you probably have some in the garage to experiment with, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    concur strongly with Marty. using a steel brush will embed bits in the aluminum, ensuring future corrosion. ref - navy (now all military) corrosion control manual.
    yeh, I know that's what the books say. But I worked in several shops that used regular wire brushes in the past 40 years. Never had any corrosion. If it were true, the entire airplane would corrode. It just doesn't happen.
    Maybe the scrub with scotchbrite removes the metal particles, if any. Then we scrub a second time to etch (phosphoric acid) which also chemically removes grease, oil films. After that a bath of chromic acid (alodine). Do all that and the paint will stick and protect the metal.
    I suppose if you are scrubbing hard enough to embed steel than don't do that.

Never use a powered wire wheel.

Find stripper with methylene chloride in it. It's used by aircraft companies in-house for paint removal.
    Bob H

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    Find stripper with methylene chloride in it. It's used by aircraft companies in-house for paint removal.
    Bob H
    Yup. Klean Strip is one of those...

I will be experimenting on Monday since I have the day off work. I got a scrub sponge at Home Depot and plan to brush-on the stripper and then scrub the stripper into the areas where the primer refuses to yield.
    thanks again
    Roy