Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oshkosh Calling: Slick's look back at AirVenture Oshkosh 2014!

Another great look at our annual convention.

I'm hoping this question doesn't come across as snarky since I don't have the talent to put a decent video together, so here goes.
    Why can Wes, the guy with no agenda, no crew, no budget, and no special access, get his 6 to 9 minute videos done every year in about two weeks, yet the official EAA DVD isn't available until November or December? Those run about 90 to 100 minutes, but EAA does have those things Slick doesn't.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 08-16-2014 at 06:35 PM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Paul - we have multiple videographers who shoot hundreds of hours of footage from all over the grounds in addition to publishing dozens of short-form videos during the week. When the event is over, it usually falls to one or maybe two people on staff to sift through that footage and plan, compile, and edit it, then run it trough multiple reviews before the mastering and manufacturing process begins. This is in addition to his/their regular full-time job(s.)

It's finished as quickly as possible given available resources and priorities I can promise you that.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I can understand that. With only a week for the event, they have to use the shotgun approach to gather as much video as possible so little is missed. Vendors all want their product announcements done on Monday (or even Sunday) to get the most time at the show.

I do our chapter's web site, and I occasionally get someone's memory card with photos. They'll have a sequence of photos of a plane pass with 40 or more shots. It takes a lot of time to filter out the 39 that are just a teeny bit different than the best one. Editing while recording makes things easier later, bit there's a good chance of missing something.

Excellent video, I loved it!

Great video, "Slick" has a lot of talent and edits well. The music was unnecessary and detracted from the video quality. The engine noise would have been music enough.

Bravo Zulu, Slick!