Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Calling: Slick's look back at AirVenture Oshkosh 2014!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Oshkosh Calling: Slick's look back at AirVenture Oshkosh 2014!

We've been big fans of this young man's work since his video about Oshkosh 2009 went viral. I'm proud to know Wes - he's in his early 20s now, and, in addition to flying his own Piper Clipper and Pitts Special, is in the US Navy, headed for pilot training this fall.

Worried about the future of aviation? Watch this and worry a little less.

(And enjoy the cameo appearance by yours truly at 5:12...)

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Banned
    Very nice. Why does Oshkosh always look and feel better on HD video and with a soundtrack than actually being there and witnessing these images first hand? Must be the emotion it invokes.

Hal,once again showing excellent taste shooting Canadian floatplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Very nice. Why does Oshkosh always look and feel better on HD video and with a soundtrack than actually being there and witnessing these images first hand?
    Filters out the discomfort. No heat, no wind, no crowding, clean bathroom just a few steps away, cheap food, free water, beer anytime you want it, no crowding, no distractions, no announcers screaming over a distorted PA, nothing blocking your view, no sore feet.

Sure, you REMEMBER those things....but they aren't really real, if you're watching the video.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Filters out the discomfort. No heat, no wind, no crowding, clean bathroom just a few steps away, cheap food, free water, beer anytime you want it, no crowding, no distractions, no announcers screaming over a distorted PA, nothing blocking your view, no sore feet.

Sure, you REMEMBER those things....but they aren't really real, if you're watching the video.

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron, all of those things are part of the charm, a badge of honor if you will... :-)

Rick
    p.s. I actually found a tears building in my eyes. I get that feeling because I WAS there, and the EXCELLENT video invoked the emotion of the event. Can't get that from video alone
    Last edited by wyoranch; 08-16-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Ron, all of those things are part of the charm, a badge of honor if you will... :-)
    So's a Purple Heart.... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Touché Ron, good point

Nice video,somehow you managed to keep the golf carts out of the picture.

Just once, it would be nice if these videographers wandered out into the North 40, where the majority of fly-in attendees live for a week.

I know that doesn't sell, but that's where the heart of EAA beats strongest...

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Very nice. Why does Oshkosh always look and feel better on HD video and with a soundtrack than actually being there and witnessing these images first hand? Must be the emotion it invokes.

Hal,once again showing excellent taste shooting Canadian floatplanes.
    Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the nod! I can't agree that the video makes it look better than it was - for me, Slick's videos are on the short list of content that barely comes close to capturing the real thing...I've never seen anything that manages to overstate how I feel about this event that some of us love so very, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    p.s. I actually found a tears building in my eyes. I get that feeling because I WAS there, and the EXCELLENT video invoked the emotion of the event. Can't get that from video alone
    You weren't alone, Rick - glad you enjoyed it!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    Just once, it would be nice if these videographers wandered out into the North 40, where the majority of fly-in attendees live for a week.

I know that doesn't sell, but that's where the heart of EAA beats strongest...
    Check out the videos that we did - you'll find the North 40 is well represented.

As for this one, "Slick" is a great young man named Wes who has a tiny handheld camcorder and just shows up and walks the grounds, capturing whatever footage inspires him, with no agenda, no crew, no budget, and no special access. If you don't like what he does, that's your prerogative, of course, just as it's his to shoot whatever he wants. If you want to tell more stories out of the north 40, do what he did - grab a camera and go for it!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor