Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFR inside Class B?

TFR inside Class B?

Seems odd due to my lack of knowledge and experience. A TFR was issued restricting airspace access to aircraft with clearance from ZKC center. INSIDE a Class B area where ATC clearance is already required. So y'gotta get a clearance to get a clearance, Clarence?

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2599.html

This is not the first time I've seen this. When W visited the building next to mine (we're entirely within the IAD surface area) they had a similar TFR (oddly enough centered on a nearby major intersection about a half a mile away and NOT where he was giving his speech). In this case, the rules for entering the TFR much more stringent than just a class B clearance.

ATC controls entrance into the class B and handles traffic in normal flows. ATC doesn't care about what's going on on the ground in their airspace. The TFR was issued by law enforcement to keep the news helicopters out of the Ferguson area where the night thugs are performing for the cameras. It also allows the police helicopters to fly over the area without having to worry about all the other helicopters hovering in the area in their way. If the media stopped covering the thugs, the violence would diminish because they wouldn't have an audience.

The week after AirVenture, the entire DC SFRA became a TFR during the Africa Leader's summit. What it effectively did was prohibit all of that terrorist prone VFR general aviation flying...and nothing else. (With that posted, all I have to do is wait for the NSA to forward this to another three letter agency and wait for the visit...)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Actually, all the recent DC TFR did was shut down the FRZ and some of the special egress rules for some of the fringe airports other than Leesburg. The normal SFRA procedures (including the special rules for JYO) remained in effect.

Dusterpilot,
    Do you really think that if there were no news helicopters flying over the town, that the parents of Michael Brown would forget that they had an 18 year old son who would be in college today if not shot 8 times by police?
    And as for the ones you call thugs, this young man had no criminal record of any kind before being shot.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-14-2014 at 10:25 AM.

I don't think he was describing Michael Brown as a thug but rather the rioters/looters that have moved in the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    ATC controls entrance into the class B and handles traffic in normal flows. ATC doesn't care about what's going on on the ground in their airspace. The TFR was issued by law enforcement to keep the news helicopters out of the Ferguson area where the night thugs are performing for the cameras. It also allows the police helicopters to fly over the area without having to worry about all the other helicopters hovering in the area in their way.
    Law enforcement doesn't issue TFRs, FAA does if needed. Since entry to Class B requires a clearance and this TFR is entirely within the Class B, then denying entry to Class B does exactly what the TFR does. So who got paid extra to do what accomplishes nothing more than "remain clear of Class B" does?

No it doesn't. ATC's job is not to keep you out of P areas and TFRs. While separation services between aircraft is provided by ATC in class B, it's incumbent on you to watch where you're going.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Actually, all the recent DC TFR did was shut down the FRZ and some of the special egress rules for some of the fringe airports other than Leesburg. The normal SFRA procedures (including the special rules for JYO) remained in effect.
    In addition to shutting down the DC 3 airports, it also prohibited VFR pattern operations throughout the SFRA, which hurt local flight schools. All things considered, I really wonder what the national security imperative was to implement a measure which limited anyone's freedom of movement and restricted free trade. (I know what the event was, which really only makes me more curious.) Restricting freedom of movement was more severe on the ground in DC, but that is another subject. More to the point of this thread, what was the benefit that was not already realized through existing Class B airspace rules and especially the SFRA?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com