Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iphone/ipad GPS

I can't speak in depth on Foreflight or WingX, but I do use the Garmin Pilot app on my iPad mini with the Garmin GDL39 GPS receiver. When your subscription ends, you are no longer able to log in to the app.

Foreflight and Garmin Pilot allow you to install the app and try them, fully functional, for 30 days. Both apps are pretty similar, and both had features that I really liked. In the end I settled on Garmin Pilot because it allows you to customize the moving map as either a sectional or the GPS style similar to what you are used to seeing in your car based GPS units. Foreflight is sectional only. Garmin also offers a feature that overlays airport diagrams right on the moving map, complete with runway and taxiway designators, and will automatically zoom in as you near the airport.

Both Garmin and Foreflight use proprietary GPS receivers (GDL 39 or GLO for Garmin and Stratus for Foreflight), but will also operate on wifi or cellular data.

The nice thing about the iPad/iPhone apps is that they are constantly being updated and will notify you when updates are released or navigational data is out of date. Both have very intuitive interfaces.

Do you need an aviation map for your kind of flying. How about just using the standard mapping (or google maps)?

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknug View Post
    I do
    Then I concur with EuropaPete, try fltplan go. Free, works. Avare is my first choice but it only works on android.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Do you need an aviation map for your kind of flying. How about just using the standard mapping (or google maps)?
    Apple Maps or Google Maps requires an Internet connection while you are navigating. The aviation apps, even the free ones like Avare, do not.

Mike E

You could try using the standard mapping apps like Apple Maps and Google Maps. MEdwards is correct, both of these apps need a connection either through wifi or cellular data as they use real time mapping information. I've even heard of pilots in larger certified aircraft using this method in a pinch. As long as there is cell signal where you are flying, I don't see why you couldn't do this.

If you wanted actual GPS and were looking to keep costs down, fltplan go looks like it could be a candidate. Couple that with an inexpensive Bluetooth GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO or similar model from Dual and you'd be set. You can get receivers like these for less than $100 new ($80 or less used if you look in the right places).

Quote Originally Posted by Tenfour View Post
    ... As long as there is cell signal where you are flying, I don't see why you couldn't do this...
    And that is why I can't do that. Experience. Cellphone service isn't available most places I fly, at any altitude. Plus, violation of FCC regs to use cellphone in flight and cell providers know that. With GPS in the phones, cell service seems to know phone's altitude. My carrier denies service (says that on the display) above roughly 1500' AGL. Your mileage may vary.

Have a look at SkyDemon. It's designed for iPhones and iPads and is increasingly popular on this side of the pond. It also seems to have charts for North America.
    Jeremy Leasor

you need to get a Bad Elf pro external gps!! I use one with my Ipad and Iphone along with the Foreflight app all is sweet and it all integrates well. BTW the GPS is very reasonably priced!!

I don't know about Apple, but Google Maps (on Android at least) does not require an internet connection while navigating if you download the map areas in advance.