Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iphone/ipad GPS

Iphone/ipad GPS

Hi,

Ive started searching for a gps for my weight shift trike and noticed that there are several apps available for the Iphone. The more popular one is ForeFlight.

This appears a bit excessive and goes for about 80 bucks a year. Are there any more affordable and simpler apps available for ultralight gps?

I would be interested in heading to airport, groundspeed, altimeter, eta, etc. nothing to fancy.

Any suggestions?

Might I suggest an older dedicated aviation GPS? <$100 on Ebay gets you a good older Lowrance or Garmin.

Even without current databases (airports rarely move), the GPS's are (IMO) a more robust solution than an iWhatever...

If I could find one on ebay/amazon for less than $100, Id be sold! I dont see em anywhere for leas than 250 or so

I use WingX Pro for the iPad, which is about the same cost as ForeFlight. If you have an Android phone check out Avare. People seem to like it. The price is right, it's free.

Check out iflygps.com The have a really great app for an iPad that is very easy to use and intuitive or a stand alone 5 and 7 inch units.

Mark

I've had very good luck with Foreflight on an iPhone. I get realtime weather and planning navigation on the ground, and of course, moving map GPS in flight. The small screen is fine for the type of flying I do (Pietenpol), but I could see someone wanting a slightly larger screen, like an iPad Mini. I have tested a full-sized iPad and it's a bit too large. The internal GPS receiver of the iPhone is also meets my needs.

FltPlan GO Can't get any cheaper than free! With all the plates and charts...and for me, canada too! :-)

Cheers

Regarding forflight, wingx, or the garmin iPhone/Ipad app... If you pay for a year, and dont resubscribe, does this terminate the gps option? I have heard that it might just stop the updated map downloads. Does the app still provide gps flight tracking on the old maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknug View Post
    Hi,

Ive started searching for a gps for my weight shift trike and noticed that there are several apps available for the Iphone. The more popular one is ForeFlight.

This appears a bit excessive and goes for about 80 bucks a year. Are there any more affordable and simpler apps available for ultralight gps?

I would be interested in heading to airport, groundspeed, altimeter, eta, etc. nothing to fancy.

Any suggestions?
    Do you already own an apple product?

I do