Thread: A friend lost

A friend lost

I have just lost another friend in a flying accident. Yesterday, I flew from Aspen to Boulder via Kremling, leaving around noon .Weather was good, some cumulus, but good vfr, I flew the first part under broken to scattered clouds at 11,500 and to 14,000 to cross Corona Pass. Not much wind, good vfr and smooth conditions. Steamboat is north of my route perhaps 40 miles, and I don't recall any concern about weather looking up that way as I passed. Nevertheless, a local CFI was returning from a trip from Boulder to Steamboat and about the time I got here they crashed near Rabbit Ears Pass which is on the route from SBS back to Boulder, apparently about 10, 500 altitude. The CFI is, was a really nice guy and a good instructor and pilot. I have flown with him numerous times, once to take me to Aspen and several times for my instrument check each year. He used to own a Pittts. He was a vegetarian and we joked about that a lot. There was a passenger with him.
    The cause is not known.
    I have seen this for the 34 years that I have been a pilot, just don't understand why anything that gives as much joy as flying can also hurt so much.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Sorry to hear this Bill. Unfortunately, the longer we fly, the longer the list of lost friends grows. Sad.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

There is a short story in today's WSJ about the crash, says it was a Piper PA-28, no names listed, RIP.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Sorry to hear about this. R.I.P.

Tony

The CFI was Earl Allen, and the other man was from Houston. Still no logical explanation of the accident, weather seems to have not been a factor.

When I lived in Summit county seems I heard this happen a few times. Most the time it was a weather related event. I see this time it was not. Maybe engine problems or something. Very sad.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Sorry to hear this Bill. Unfortunately, the longer we fly, the longer the list of lost friends grows. Sad.
    It doesn't matter whether it's flying, driving, motorcycling, or whatever, the list will grow.

Condolences for the loss of your friend.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

This is so hard to understand and that seems to make the loss worse. Steamboat is a great little western mountain town, fun to visit in the summer, good skiing in the winter. The airport is right there, perhaps 3 miles west of town, nice runway, no tower to give you trouble, decent FBO. There are two ski mountains, one right in town with big nordic jump and a slalom race course, a soft spot for me as I once won a slalom race there when the kid who was a lot faster the first run got too agressive and fell the 2nd run. I have looked down the nordic jump in run, but no way would I try that. My oldest Son Charles made the junior Olympics and the races were held on Mt. Werner which just overlooks town on the east side. The little guy first beat me in a head to head race there when he was 10 1/2 years old. My excuse is that I had rented skis, but in truth he was just good, and I was from Texas, not a great ski background.
    I flew an airshow at SBS and had a good time over the years. THey used to have a classic car display downtown, then a vintage sports car race around the base of the mountain, and then the next day the airshow. So Steamboat Springs has been a town that in the past has meant good memories.
    The airport is at 6800 feet and the ridge to clear to the southeast is about 11,000. The Arrow should have been able to climb 500 fpm I guess and be able to get to 11,500 at least in the 10 miles or so to this ridge, even making circles if needed. It was warm and density altitude was about 8800 feet.
    Services will be Sunday and of course I will go, but not looking forward to it. I am full up with services for dead aviation friends. The 2nd pilot in the plane, Terry Lynn Stewart was 60 and from Houston, and owned a house near Estes Park.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-13-2014 at 07:16 PM.

I'm sorry for your loss, Bill.