Thread: Best Debut Aircraft at Oshkosh 2014

Banned

Best Debut Aircraft at Oshkosh 2014

There weren't very many at all, but of what there were of new introductions, for me it's the SLSA MVP AERO. A look-a-like Icon flying boat but with appreciable airframe differences and very novel and cool built in adventure flying features.

Took me a while to find it, but when I did, I knew it could be a winner. Glasair is the manufacturer and some notable aviation people are attached to the development so definitely has credibility. They say deliveries in 5 years which is also credible. Unfortunately, they're taking deposits.

I of course implored them to ensure that it would have in-cockpit push of a button wing fold. In speaking with the 2 reps and with a big crowd salivating around the full scale mock-up at the seaplane base, I made sure everyone knew about the dirty little secret of flying boats.

http://www.mvp.aero/#prettyPhoto/0/

Byron J. Covey
    Promising, but let's wait until it actually becomes an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Promising, but let's wait until it actually becomes an airplane.
    Just like the Icon. The Icon is like the LSA-amphib version of the Eclipse jet. All hype, yet very little to show for it.
    Last edited by flyboycpa; 08-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
    The Ikon is like the LSA-amphib version of the Eclipse jet. All hype, yet very little to show for it.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. That's Icon with a c.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 08-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.

I'll bite. What dirty little secret? This looks like an amazing light sport aircraft, simple and easily functional, with a turbo and a folding deck and a fishing chair and parallelogram canopy and folding wings and still light enough to leave enough useful load for a guy, gal, gas, and a fishing pole. Wow! Amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. That's Icon with a c.
    Fixed

Regardless, I stand by what I say. I think the Icon is a great little aircraft (just like the Eclipse); however, there has been a lot of $$$ put out for fancy advertising, big displays, etc. and there is still only ONE preproduction aircraft flying and they are still looking for investment funds.

I hope the MVP watches and learns from this. They have a beautiful aircraft and I hope they succeed.

Brian and Carol Carpenter's Primary Electric Motorglider is my pick. It has flown in California, but was only a static display this year at the ultralight field. The open air experience and low cost could get young people involved in learning to fly.
    A primary glider is hard to beat for initial training.
    http://www.electricmotorglider.com/

Banned
    [QUOTE=cdrmuetzel@juno.com;43916]I'll bite. What dirty little secret?(/QUOTE]

At worst undockable, at best undockable!

Quote Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
    Just like the Icon. The Icon is like the LSA-amphib version of the Eclipse jet. All hype, yet very little to show for it.
    The name Jim Beede and the BD-5 comes to mind.

Was very impressed with the sportsman 2+2 diesel. Always liked that aircraft,now I really like it.